Rim Refurb... In Blue!

adrenalinemunki
adrenalinemunki Posts: 213
edited June 2012 in Your mountain bikes
Ey up...

My rims had a handful of meaty dents so I thought a refurb was in order and while I was at it had them powder coated, changed them from black to a colour matched (to my grips and pedals) plasma blue...

Lairy but I love it... what do you reckon?

Rockhopper-Blue-Bits.jpg

Next on the agenda is a new 2013 2x10 SLX drivetrain :)

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I wouldn't want to see a grown man cry, so will not comment on the bike.

But I assume you are colour blind? My condolences.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Ha, always look forward to your posts matey.

Colour blind? Might somewhat inhibit my day-to-day role as a graphic designer :D
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Wow, please don't design any of my graphics ;)

If you like it then who cares what anyone else thinks. It's certainly original...
  • Indeed, better not show this to any potential clients then :D

Don't worry, I take some sort of weird satisfaction from the fact that the majority don't like something I have :)

Everybody thought my old Integra DC2 was an ugly car but I loved it to bits :D
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    ignore them, blue rims rock :D

p4pb8217315.jpg
  • Twelly
    Its good to see people with the same visual impairment sticking up for one another :)
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    TwellySmat wrote:
    Its good to see people with the same visual impairment sticking up for one another :)

you're only jealous :wink::lol:
  • It's very colourful! I'm a fan of needless colour coordination. Or lack of coordination, as the case may be.

I've been tempted to do similar things to an old wheelset myself, but I cant be arsed rebuilding wheels to do it. I take it you had to do this? I suppose you could mask off the nipples and spokes.
  • Twelly
    Yes... jealous :roll:
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Some chap on MTBR had some ZTR Race rims anodised blue (along with virtually everything on the bike). He'd left them in the acid bath long enough to get them down to about 250g :shock: on an Ibis Mojo too, very odd!

I actually quite like the OPs ones.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    omg my eyes
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    I dont always agree with cooldad s sarcasm but er well damn im afaid this time i have to .................
    but beauty is in the eye of the beholder :-)
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    tarbot18 wrote:
    I dont always agree with cooldad s sarcasm but er well damn im afaid this time i have to .................
    but beauty is in the eye of the beholder :-)
    I wasn't being sarcastic, I was showing compassion.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I actually quite like that
  • It's very colourful! I'm a fan of needless colour coordination. Or lack of coordination, as the case may be.

I've been tempted to do similar things to an old wheelset myself, but I cant be arsed rebuilding wheels to do it. I take it you had to do this? I suppose you could mask off the nipples and spokes.
    Naah didn't do this myself, took it all apart myself then sent the rims (just the rims) to a place that refurbishes alloy wheels (and who had previously done a great job on my car rims) who repaired the dents, acid bath'd then powder coated them (in the flesh its a very professional job, you'd think they were fresh out of the factory). Then gave it all to my LBS (Swinnerton Cycles in Cannock Chase) who rebuilt them and put new nipples on etc (brass this time, didn't want any of that anodised crap).

So there we go, start to finish the entire job cost me £56.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    for 2 complete builds, powdercoat, not including nipples but re-using spokes. If so - that's a very good deal.
  • for 2 complete builds, powdercoat, not including nipples but re-using spokes. If so - that's a very good deal.
    Don't forget the repair job, not just a powdercoat... A good deal indeed :)

Yeah they advised against reusing the spokes but I wanted to do this on as tight a budget as possible so they agreed, new spokes would have probably added at least another £30-40 I'd have thought and my wheels (well, the whole bike) is not even a year old yet so would have felt like a waste to just chuck em...
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Indeed, never had a problem with reusing relatively new alright looking spokes.

Tis why disc brakes add even more to their value I suppose, you'd bin a dented rim in most cases with rim brakes, and you're able to change colours (if adding weight ;-) ) without worrying about the brakIng surface.

Do wonder how Mr. Acid bath got on with his 250g rims though.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    I actually quite like that
    +1, shame you haven't got a saddle to match :wink:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Loooks Great fella! Love it!! a matching saddle would make it Spot on too!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • Thats two of you who've said that but I'm all about the white saddle to be honest, theres a white saddle, a white stem (not visible on that pic) and the genuine RS stickers I've got coming (which will definitely provoke further controversy) are white so it all balances well I reckon...
  • Rims look great. Not a good co-ord with the red frame though imo.

How about getting the frame powder coated white?

Would look good then.
  • Dubdemand
    Dubdemand Posts: 37
    I like it tbh... makes me think of this though :lol:

Maybe you should change the white bits to yellow and get a red cape ;)

FOREVER_SUPERMAN_by_supersebas.jpg
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    welshkev wrote:
    ignore them, blue rims rock :D

p4pb8217315.jpg

Oh theyre a solid colour, Id heard rumour that your rim was black and blue ;)
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • Ha good point Dubdemand, if blue and red is good enough for the man of steel then its good enough for me :)

Actually, iirc Spiderman is red, blue, black and white - my full compliment :D
  • And yellow!!! :-D
    Decorating/tarting up/ blinging ones bike etc. Is Entirely personal! We do what we do tobour bikes because we Want too! If we all conformed with the mundane we'd all ride black bikes with all black parts, white bikes with all white parts (Nothing Worse than that IMO) etc. But! We don't have to!
    My soul is Far from most peoples tastes as it gets, but I don't give a monkeys Silk purse, its my bike, I Love riding it, IMO it looks Great! Even my daughters bike I've hit with the Timmo stick! Matching light blue cables, Rainbow patterned coloured spoke nipples etc. Why, she loves it! She loves riding it and showing it off! Same for me! ;-)
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481