Hills and legs

I went out Hill training last weekend I decided to track my heart rate this time, I posted before about hill training. I was at a consistent BPM of 135 the whole way up the hill and the second time doing the hill but my legs would just not let me go any faster, it was a weird feeling in my legs could this be a build up of lactic acid while I climb? its annoying as I know my heart rate can go higher. Advice is greatly appreciated as I am stumped. Or could this be a gear issue? This is the specs of my bike
http://eurocycles.com/ie/product/bh/speedrom-7-0

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,532
    if you haven't trained for repeated effort, your legs will tire

keep on training

what cadence are you climbing at? if you can't get a low enough gear and are grinding up then your legs will tire faster
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Also, dont just sit down the whole way. Stand up for a while if you feel your legs tiring.
  • do not have a cadence measure unfort, I do hills every day if I can and even at one hill climb they seem to be effected, I tried the standing that helps but I always stayed seated so am not that fit for standing.
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    Your brain acts to protect you.

If you are working out hard - you are capable of doing more - but your brain stops you from pushing harder. This is actually a known and proven fact and there was even a bit on it when that guy was talking about the 20 seconds hard bash training (forgot the proper term for it all of a sudden).

When you train to a high level in a sport you have to learn to override your brain's built in protection system - mind over matter as it were - I am sure you can google something about it - for me I am just to lazy to push any harder and I do whatever my brain says - normally it is something like sit down and have a well earned rest :)
  • islwyn
    islwyn Posts: 650
    jonomc4 wrote:
    Your brain acts to protect you.

+1,

It's all about hitting the way, always hit a hill sitting down as you don't want to tire out too easily, it's also important that you hit the bottom of the hill in a comfortable gear for you, so you can keep a steady flow up, if you're not obviously used to doing hills, it won't be long until your brain tries to tell you to give up, and your legs will be pumping with acid, at this point you need to stand, tell your brain to f off and push, you will do it and your heart rate will go above, just at the moment you're shutting down too early.