Is It Legal

PeakRider91
PeakRider91 Posts: 62
edited June 2012 in Road general
Hi guys I'm an average commuter rider and very courteous to other traffic, allow plenty of space follow all rules ect.

But I'm sick to death of all the local chavs and ar*ehole BMW fatcats that think their big and funny to speed up drive past and miss me by inches, or just generally hurl abuse at you.

So rant over, I was thinking would it be legal to wear a hi vis with "police" written on the back.(classic reflective lettering and blue background.) I'm not saying to impersonate a police officer but just to make other road user think a second and show more courtesy and if not, possibly fashion it differently change colors or make it spell "Policc" or "Bolice".

Obviously I want to do this to trick other road user into thinking its one of the bobby on the bike brigade.
I just don't want to get into trouble for impersonating a police officer.

possible loophole?

Comments

• officers-gather-outside-rose-road-police-station-in-harborne-409213445.jpg

Does anyone have an idea what helmets they are issued aswell?
  • deerman
    deerman Posts: 6
    In our local agricultural store, in the horsey section, there are yellow vests with POLITE written on the back, to look like POLICE.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    edited June 2012
    No it isn't legal to pass yourself off as a Police Officer, which is what you would be doing. It's not like wearing a Man U replica top on Kensington high street.

Aside from the above: what if someone flags you down because they've just seen a crime committed, or the local scrote with a grudge against to cops decides you'll do for a bit of fun in his souped up corsa?
  • Cheers deerman

http://www.equiwear.co.uk/equisafety-po ... 1433-p.asp

Just ordered one! Now need the right helmet, already got dark trousers.
  • If anyone flags me down I will just say call 999, as for the chav in the corsa more people hold a grudge on cyclists in general but with a police cycler outfit they will "respect my authoritaaaaay".
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    Impersonating the emergency services is against the law.
  • The clothing will have similar aspects to the police. Just like some road maintanence vans look like police vans. Obviously not going to take it too far by wearing a badge and handcuffs, just want to get road users attention make them give more space.
  • Dan_Giant
    Dan_Giant Posts: 72
    You say you don't want to impersonate an officer but in the same sentence say you want to trick people into thinking you are a copper so they give you a wide berth.

You then say you wear similar trousers and want the same helmet. To me that sounds like impersonating an officer, so to answer your original question "Yes it's illegal"
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    If you wear it in Liverpool you would get most likely get beaten up for being a "plassy plod".
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    Obviously not going to take it too far by wearing a badge and handcuffs, just want to get road users attention make them give more space.

then wear a high vis, you are always going to get pr***s on the road but that is how it is. If you look like a police officer then you could well be fined.

its a similar situation with chav cars, a saxo with blue leds looks nothing like a police car but if caught the driver can be fined and given points on his/her license.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Just ordered one! Now need the right helmet, already got dark trousers.
    Don't bother with the right helmet - just wear what you've already got.

IMHO a Hi Vis vest saying POLITE please slow down would be border line on the police impersonation - depends which plod saw you and if he's having a bad day (or you're riding badly!)

If you already wear dark trousers when riding then that is your normal attire - Police can't go for impersonation with that, but if you replicate their helmets as well it's just another thing they could try to "do" you for ..

You're only after the quick glance and "oh shit" response to give you a wide berth - by the time they've actually seen it's not Plod it is too late.
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    Whilst I don't think the OP will get anywhere near the effect they are after, all the impersonating comments are pointless.

Contrary to reports in the Daily Mail, your average plod has not got enough time to deal with the proper crime to bother with anyone doing anything short of attempting to pass off an arrest or a stop and search while wearing a full imitation uniform. The chances of you getting stopped for wearing a similar vest, helmet and trousers is exactly zero!
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • Dan_Giant
    Dan_Giant Posts: 72
    Coach H wrote:
    Whilst I don't think the OP will get anywhere near the effect they are after, all the impersonating comments are pointless.

Contrary to reports in the Daily Mail, your average plod has not got enough time to deal with the proper crime to bother with anyone doing anything short of attempting to pass off an arrest or a stop and search while wearing a full imitation uniform. The chances of you getting stopped for wearing a similar vest, helmet and trousers is exactly zero!

Just because it might not happen doesn't make it ok to impersonate a copper.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    I wouldn't do it myself but equally I don't feel the need to talk anyone out of it, lets face it as far as law enforcement on the road is concerned it's very much a secondary (or even third, fourth?) consideration for the police these days as they are spread thinner than cheap paint so if you genuinely think it's beneficial for your safety then it's up to you.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    i asked one once to have a look at his helmet - oo er - it was a specialized chamonix.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Given the pic the OP posted, you don't really need 'Police' written on the back of your high vis vest. You need to be riding a white MTB on the road. You need a yellow vest with lots of full doughnut pockets in the front of it and to be wearing an unsuitable white shirt and flappy trousers. And if you are like the two in Leeds, stick to a maximum speed of 8 miles an hour.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Chamonix you say?
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998

its a similar situation with chav cars, a saxo with blue leds looks nothing like a police car but if caught the driver can be fined and given points on his/her license.
    Fined because blue lights are illegal (see the Road Traffic Act) not because they're impersonating a police officer('s car).
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Everyone's a smartarse.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I often get accused of imitating an officer.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    I think Hi Viz 'vests' should be illegal in general. Shouts pleb ! :lol:
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I often get accused of irritating an officer.
    There - corrected that for you ... ;)
  • I wouldn't want to go to Liverpool in the first place.
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I often get accused, officer.
    FTFY again
  • joshr96
    joshr96 Posts: 153
    If anyone flags me down I will just say call 999, as for the chav in the corsa more people hold a grudge on cyclists in general but with a police cycler outfit they will "respect my authoritaaaaay".

Screw you guys..I'm going naaarrm..
    Carrera TDF 2011 Limited Edition.
    Crossbow Hybrid
    Boardman AiR 9.8 one day..