Rockshox 2013

supersonic
supersonic Posts: 82,708
edited October 2012 in MTB general
Details here, with some prices for basic models.

http://www.sussedoutsuspension.co.uk/rockshox.htm

No dual air though - daft.

Comments

• Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    supersonic wrote:
    No dual air though - daft.

For everyday joe is it really needed?
  • supersonic
    Maybe not - but would nice to be able to have the option of it. I find it useful.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Got to say, I'm not liking the graphics on most of those at all.
    I'm not one to buy things for looks, but if there's two competing things that I'm trying to decide over, and one looks like that - I'd buy the other one.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    hmm thats a bit annoying about the lack of dual air.

I run slightly more in the negative chamber to make the fork more supple. guess I'll be hanging on to my dual air rev for a bit longer then.
  • sanchez89
    sanchez89 Posts: 567
    Satin black stantions on some of the forks should look nice.

Also agree about graphics, some look very plain. Totem, Lyric etc. still look ok though.
    2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
    Clank wrote:
    M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.
  • fat_homer
    fat_homer Posts: 470
    Rockshox have never been as pretty as fox forks but have still been pretty nice but these new ones are awful to be honest.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    It's like they found an ex-apple graphic designer, who'd been watching too much 80s sci-fi.
    And no, I don't like apple's designs either. They look like, well, 80s sci-fi props, or some medical equipment.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    20mm only on the "big" forks now. IMO its a shame RS lost that fight with Fox.

Dual air was probably too complicated for most folks. I doubt if many will miss it.

And I quite like the graphics, I expect a visit from the bike radar fashion police soon.

Not a whole lot of coil springs going on, are there?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    20mm only on the "big" forks now. IMO its a shame RS lost that fight with Fox.
    Aye, that's a shame. I still reckon 15mm is silly, and is just pandering to the crowd. Just all go 20mm or stick with QR.

Another thing I just realised is the very high price of admission for any meaningful damper controls.
  • specialeyes
    specialeyes Posts: 542
    Also this leaked http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/feature ... =spotlight

Dunno if its been posted already. I think supersonic called this a while back.
  • specialeyes
    specialeyes Posts: 542
    And those graphics are awful! A bit supermarket bike.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    NO Monarch Plus ?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I'll monarch your plus in a minute.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    Promises, promises
  • Totem heavier than the Domain?

Like the graphics though.
  • supersonic
    Also this leaked http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/feature ... =spotlight

Dunno if its been posted already. I think supersonic called this a while back.

First I have seen of this, but yep, I wrote an article predicting exactly this a few years ago ;-)
  • mrmonkfinger
    Aye, that's a shame. I still reckon 15mm is silly, and is just pandering to the crowd. Just all go 20mm or stick with QR.

People do love having billions of different labels for minutely different products, that's personal expression in a consumer society for you. Man, I'm an all mountain rider, I don't want no stinking downhill forks, them guys are idiots in stupid helmets.
    Another thing I just realised is the very high price of admission for any meaningful damper controls.

30% - 50% price increases on similar specs from 2009/2010 from what I can see.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    No coil Lyriks. Shame, the coil rides better than the air.
    Not sure why the Domain needs the satin black coating on the stanchion, chrome stanchions seem to last forever and are nice & smooth. Why fix something that isn't broken?
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    No standard SID World Cups, just an XX version, which is heavier.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    The overjoyous nature of the replies in this thread suggest that they've hit the nail on the head this coming year then eh? :roll:

There's something that bugs me with things like this...
    Why do forks have to be changed every year, rather than when a genuine improvement has been made. I'm pretty sure that keeping the same thing in production for longer would lower costs.
  • njee20
    Agreed!

RS did do that for a couple of years, Reba World Cups were the same 06/07 (although they went up £100 :? ), SIDs didn't change 2004-06 either IIRC.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Why do forks have to be changed every year, rather than when a genuine improvement has been made. I'm pretty sure that keeping the same thing in production for longer would lower costs.

New ranges every year generates repeat custom from the shallow/more-money-than-sense consumer who constantly wants the latest thing. Also gives the bike manufacturers a chance to say 'Includes 2013 hardware!' on their latest models of bikes.
  • njee20
    When I returned my (2011) forks to Fox for a service they put 2012 decals on as part of the service. Same internally, so now I have some 2012 forks. Win.
  • mrmonkfinger

two words: orange five

<runs>
  • YeehaaMcgee

two words: orange five

<runs>
    I honestly don't know what Orange's release schedule is, but I do know that a few things have changed over the year, such as cable guides, headtubes, geometry, that kind of thing.
    No idea if they're on an annual release schedule though.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Ibis have no set model years, they release a new model when its ready, the Mojo sl has been unchanged for years now.
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    DCR00 wrote:
    NO Monarch Plus ?

I dont think that that site shows the full range. It says "more details on 2013 shocks soon" at the bottom
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    leaflite wrote:
    DCR00 wrote:
    NO Monarch Plus ?

I dont think that that site shows the full range. It says "more details on 2013 shocks soon" at the bottom

disappointed that they aren't using the blackgold coating as seen on blackbox forks and new carbon demo8 team, would look great on forks like the rev and lyrik. For what its worth, i think the move back to solo air is going in the right direction.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Yeah, as long as -ve damping setup is actually easier through a few clicks. You're never sure *exactly* how much air pressure you actually have.
  • supersonic
    Overall I am disappointed with the line up and options, and the naming again. I imagine though places like Merlin will be knocking out certain models cheap. The Reba has certainly evolved into a budget Sid - though the Rev ran it close when spaced down.