Broken Gear Hanger and Rear Wheel Problem - Image Attached

Curious Yellow
Curious Yellow Posts: 281
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Bought a new bike and couldn't fit the rear wheel in. Seemed like the axle was too big to fit into the drop-out. Just re-examined the gear hanger and it looks like it's broken. I have spare gear hanger (same model as the one already in place) and it slots into the axle fine.

Wondering if anyone thinks this would prevent the rear wheel from slotting in? Looks like the gear hanger has moved inwards on breaking and would restrict the wheel's insertion? What do you think?

7447228194_19aa4217df_z.jpg

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes.
    yes.

talk to the shop.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Talked to the shop (Canyon). They've agreed to cover the replacement. Gutted that it will not be ridden today though.

Oh well, such is life.

Do gear hangers break this easily? This bike hasn't even been ridden once! I guess something could have happened to it in transit.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    see the topics on Canyon hangers.

it is a poor design.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Why can't you ride if you already have a spare one?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Shackster
    Shackster Posts: 257
    nicklouse wrote:
    see the topics on Canyon hangers.

it is a poor design.

Nick, please could you elaborate - holes too close to edge (although that must be the same for the pilo ones)? cast instead of machined etc)? the other thread doesn't reach a conclusion except that there seems to be some that break and some that don't. Although I am about to go home and check mine...
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I think it is because it has more than one attachment bolt. Only needed when the wheel is out really.
  • 25 Euros for a teensy bit of metal. I wonder if they'll ask nicely before they insert the rod, or whether they'll do it regardless.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The hanger in that pic is rubbish quality, it doesn't even fit the frame properly.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I think that's the problem - it's bent.
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    Mine all broke in the same place as shown in this photo, it's where there is the most stress and very little metal, the hanger closes up so that you can't get the wheel out. The Pilo ones are CNC machined and not cast so look to be stronger. The Pilo one I'm now using has been ok but time will tell.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR