Brake upgrade?

Samslow
Samslow Posts: 27
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, I have a 2007(i think) specialized hardrock pro i bought few years back and never had chance to use it but now am getting back on my bike.
It has Alivio cable disc brakes but they are rubbish.
Are these generally naff brakes or does my bike just need a good service.
Im interested in upgrading can i fit hydraulic disc brakes easy enough?
I dont want to spend alot so am interested in picking up a s/hand bargain what do i need to make sure i have so everything will fit ok?
thanks
sam

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    a good service would help.
    yes.
    seperate gear shifters.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Samslow
    eh? sorry you ve lost me what about the gear shifterS?

and 71k posts! wow!
  • nicklouse
    Samslow wrote:
    eh? sorry you ve lost me what about the gear shifterS?

and 71k posts! wow!
    if the brake and gear assy is one item then you will need new gear shifters if you go to Hydros.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Samslow
    just had a look and the shifters are screwed to the levers so do seperate but doing that they nothing to hold them to the bar with
  • nicklouse
    Samslow wrote:
    just had a look and the shifters are screwed to the levers so do seperate but doing that they nothing to hold them to the bar with
    what are the gears?

there were some bands available to allow some of the shimano shifters to be mounted after splitting but they are rare now. and may cost as much as new shifters.

your other option is some Avid BB7 calipers. Best Cable calipers out there.
  • Samslow
    the shifters themsevlves are badged shimano too im pretty sure bike is as it came out showroom. my main trouble is front brakes awful if you grab it , it just glides to a gradual stop theres no urgency to it atall. As i found out last week when i got runover on a crossing by a van going thru red light
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Try adjustment and new pads before you go making things complex.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sounds like contaminated pads, the Alivios are better than that.

Nick meant WHICH shimano shifters, they make dozen (hundreds)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Samslow
    they're not badged just say shimano on nothing else.