Mens Fashion

nevman
nevman Posts: 1,611
edited June 2012 in The bottom bracket
Been thinking a lot recently,and one of the topics is,unless you are 18-24,your basically f****d if you want to buy different clothes than your Dad.Or Grandad
Why is there nothing out there for the ages 24 - whatever not prepared to submit the beige terror that awaits us all.
Not asking for much,just something other than skinny knits,overpriced jeans and shoes-the Blue Harbour conundrum.
Shops full of chinos looking for a home,standard polos and swimwear-WTF???
Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
Winter Alan Top Cross
All rounder Spec. Allez.

Comments

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    Superdry, Hollister and Abercrombie & Fitch to name but a few.

Did you mention over-priced? Whoops.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Paul Smith and Ted Baker or.......if you pick and choose the right stuff - Gap, for middle of the road can't really go wrong.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No one cares. Just save your money and rent a hooker.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Gok Whan
  • RideOnTime
    sorry Wan
  • RideOnTime
    he can't be ars@d... he's just cooking Chinese. Actually he just does women.
  • RideOnTime
    so to speak... :D:D:D
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Crew Clothing, White Stuff, Dockers, Howies, Fatface (occasionally).
    Timberland if you have access to a second mortgage.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    You are happy to be seen out and about in lycra.
    Why would you be worried about how you look in your other clothes? :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    I noticed as I got older, that the big advantage of this was that |I no longer had to try to look fashionable (not that I ever tried very hard, or could afford to).

I now inhabit that grey (often literally) area between scruffy and eccentric.

The older I get, the better I was.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,236
    Bozman wrote:
    Ted Baker.

facepalm.jpg
  • rick_chasey
    Under the age of 25, you can no longer be fashionable - so go for stylish.

Under the age of 30 - t-shirts make you look rubbish - especially with jeans or trainers. A t-shirt with a collar doesn't make it better - the same goes for hoodies, or trainers with shorts (though that should never ever be done anyway).

Think: 61912Brown8774Web.jpg
  • garryc
    garryc Posts: 203

Under the age of 30 - t-shirts make you look rubbish - especially with jeans or trainers. A t-shirt with a collar doesn't make it better - the same goes for hoodies, or trainers with shorts (though that should never ever be done anyway).

But why has he still got his pyjamas on?
  • RideOnTime
    garryc wrote:

But why has he still got his pyjamas on?

What are we mean't to be thinking?
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    41 years old:

Day wear: Fat Face Jeans, skinny knit jumper, understated black trainers, G-shock watch.

Evening wear: Smart jeans or trousers, shirt, jacket, 'statement shoes', Breitling.

Moisturise, get a smart haircut, clean your shoes and nails.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    GiantMike wrote:
    41 years old:

Day wear: Fat Face Jeans, skinny knit jumper, understated black trainers, G-shock watch.

Evening wear: Smart jeans or trousers, shirt, jacket, 'statement shoes', Breitling.

Moisturise, get a smart haircut, clean your shoes and nails.

undercover-fuck-the-past-fuck-the-future-shoes-0.jpg?w=490&h=362

The older I get, the better I was.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    I'm nearly 40 but look like a youngster so wear the 18 - 24 year old clothing ;)

Everyday stuff his mainly Next or similar and then I've got a few bits of Superdry, Hollister, Abercrombie & Fitch, Fat Face and Crew (also a few things from Joules but their men's range is limited).
  • garryc
    But these days most jeans are probably all made in the same few factories. So jeans are jeans, a t-shirt is a t-shirt etc etc, I couldn't give a monkeys about labels and try to avoid them where I can. My shoes don't make a statement, they're just good for walking around in.
  • rick_chasey
    Avoid jeans.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Avoid jeans.

What about red ones?
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • dodgerdog
    dodgerdog Posts: 292
    Rick,

Is it jeans or jean's that we are supposed to avoid? If the later what has she got that we should not desire?

Or more appropriately for this topic is it jeans we should avoid or the devil's cloth from Nimes (de Nimes aka Demin) as 40 somethings?
    Allez Triple (hairy with mudguards) - FCN 4
    Ribble Gran Fondo
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Wear the right jeans and you can get away with them.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • rick_chasey
    MattC59 wrote:

Exactly, 'get away with'.

They're still jeans.

I'm 24 so I can still wear jeans and not look like an idiot, but I am graduating from the standard jeans look a) because they're are SO ubiquitous that they're finally going out of fashion and b) they're a good stop-gap towards chinos - which I am now buying in the truck load.

To avoid looking old-manish - it's all about the bright colours (as is the fashion anyway). So well fitting (read, not loose), and say, bright green or electric blue. Something like that.
  • pauldavid
    pauldavid Posts: 392
    MattC59 wrote:

They're still jeans.

I'm 24 so I can still wear jeans and not look like an idiot, but I am graduating from the standard jeans look a) because they're are SO ubiquitous that they're finally going out of fashion and b) they're a good stop-gap towards chinos - which I am now buying in the truck load.

To avoid looking old-manish - it's all about the bright colours (as is the fashion anyway). So well fitting (read, not loose), and say, bright green or electric blue. Something like that.

Lot of utter tosh being spoken, sorry written.

Wear what you feel comfortable in and bollocks to anyone else's opinion.

Man in photo earlier labelled Think needs a shave, an haircut and to lose the pyjama bottoms and scruffy jacket, other than that I'd do him :lol:
  • rick_chasey
    pauldavid wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:

They're still jeans.

Lot of utter tosh being spoken, sorry written.

Wear what you feel comfortable in and bollocks to anyone else's opinion.

Man in photo earlier labelled Think needs a shave, an haircut and to lose the pyjama bottoms and scruffy jacket, other than that I'd do him :lol:

For sure, wear what you want.

Just don't think you're fashionable if you do ;).

Were you not expecting opinions on what not to wear in this thread?
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    fred perry an chinos, its a winner every time
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • garryc
    Don't Chino's occupy the same sort of slot as jeans? You can't claim to be an individual wearing jeans but it's exactly the same with chinos. Are they fashionable now? (loads of middle aged men suddenly thrust into the spotlight of high fashon)
  • rick_chasey
    garryc wrote:
    Don't Chino's occupy the same sort of slot as jeans? You can't claim to be an individual wearing jeans but it's exactly the same with chinos. Are they fashionable now? (loads of middle aged men suddenly thrust into the spotlight of high fashon)

It's the kind of chinos innit.

I don't think they're THE fashionable thing to wear, but they beat jeans and everyone can get hold of some.

Men's fashion's a little harder than women's.

Either way, I get a lot more attention and compliments on what I wear when I'm out in anything other than jeans.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    garryc wrote:
    Rick is just trying to justify wearing old mens trousers by buying them in bright colours. :wink:

If you really want to stand out don't do fashion - That's just another uniform.
    Be individual and have the confidence to carry it off. :P
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • RideOnTime
    This discussion is so gay.
    and that mincer in the jim-jams.
    :?