changing entire brake components

djbenny
djbenny Posts: 5
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
curently I have a Cape Wrath 7005 with v style brakes but the wheels do hjave the option of having disc brakes added, i was wondering how easy it is to install disc brakes, mainly with the actual brake clutch as the gearing changers seem to be quite inbuilt within the brake handle. Shimano Deore

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    You can get 2 types of disc brake - one works using cables just like V brakes, the other uses hydraulics.

If you go for cable operated (or 'mechanical') then it is easy to change and they should work with your existing levers. You will need new brake cables (both the inner wire and the outer casing) as they will be longer.
    You will also need a wheel that you can attach the rotor to - there will usually be 6 bolt holes in the side of the hub or some other means of attaching (e.g. centre lock mounts).

If you go for hydraulic I'm afraid you'll need new levers as they contain the hydraulic cylinder that operated the brake. If your brake and gear levers come as one piece you'll have to buy new gear shifters as well (a problem I had when I changed).
    Hydraulic brakes will usually come with the levers and hoses attached, full of fluid and bled so you just bolt them on. One thing to watch out for when buying hydraulic brakes is to make sure the hoses are long enough to get from your bars to wherever the brakes go.
    Again you'll need a wheel you can attach the rotor to.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    And whether the frame and forks are disc ready.
    But your info is a bit sparse.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • djbenny
    djbenny Posts: 5
    the ones i am looking at are hydraulic and they are the same brand and model that I currently have. i have checked the distance and the wheels and frame etc its just the actual brake handle im concerned with. my brakes currently look like this:

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6119/6369 ... 68c55c.jpg
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Then you're sadly out of luck. Your shiter pods are part of the brake levers (I frigging hate those designs), which means i fyou replace the brake levers, you'll also need new shifters, and vice versa.