Best tires for Dalby forest in damp conditions.

pmk_travel
pmk_travel Posts: 18
edited June 2012 in Routes
Hello, went to dalby forest today to test my new bike out. (Lapierre zesty 314)
The bike felt great apart from the tires. The tires was a huge let down and spoilt most of the fun. I was slipping on everything they touched. rocks, roots, sand and in the boogy/muddy sections. The tires are continental mountain king 2 - 2.4 on the front, which i also felt was way to big! and
x-king 2.2 on the back. this gave hardly any grip either a slight touch of the brake it would lock up.
I did have fun today on the red route. but sliding/skidding and slipping spoilt it for me

any advice appreciated was thinking 2.2 on front 2.1 on back? but which tires?

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    maxxis swampthing 42a f+r
  • Might be a good idea to ask here:

http://www.mtbe.co.uk/dalby-trail-centre-f26.html

Lot of riders with good experience of dalby in different conditions.

:wink:
  • pmk_travel
    Thank you to you both.
  • Timcrabb
    Timcrabb Posts: 21
    I was up there over the jubilee weekend and had quite abit of rain on the sat night and i was riding on racing ralphs and they were fine in the wet and no drag on the fire roads :)
    If in dout hit it flat out!
  • pmk_travel
    Timcrabb wrote:
    I was up there over the jubilee weekend and had quite abit of rain on the sat night and i was riding on racing ralphs and they were fine in the wet and no drag on the fire roads :)

cheers, i'll have a search on them :)
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    There's nothing wrong with this combination of tyres, the 2.4 MK comes out as one of the best fit and forget front tyres.

What pressure did you have in them, the 2.4 I'd be running 24 psi or 2-3 psi higher if you a heavy rider.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    robertpb wrote:
    There's nothing wrong with this combination of tyres, the 2.4 MK comes out as one of the best fit and forget front tyres.
    In the dry yes. In the wet they are hard to reccomend.
  • pmk_travel
    I think the front was at 30 psi and the back at 40 psi. 2.4 on the front felt to big for my liking - maybe i'll get use to it in dryer conditions.

I've just ordered a pair of maxxis advatage 2.25 60a front and 2.1 70a back. read alot of review saying they are good all rounder. grippy and fast rolling.

But i will keep the continental's for when we have a dry summer and try them on again :)