Don't be like me

vorsprung
vorsprung Posts: 1,953
On the recent Avalon Sunrise 400km audax, as well as a couple of punctures, my gear cable snapped

This wasn't due to "bad luck" or anything more sinister than my lack of attention to detail. Full report on my stupidity here on my blog

All I can say is, don't be like me! Think how many miles you've done and replace the stuff before it breaks. I always look forward to those rare weekends on the saddle. I'd rather not spend the time finding spares in a bike shop or stressing with emergency repairs.

Comments

• getprg
    getprg Posts: 245
    Commiserations - although 2 years for a shimano rear changer cable is pretty good going. I experienced something similar with the cable for a front changer out in the Dales (not too many bike shops there) - all down to my lack of knowing that they tend to snap after a relatively short life. To add insult to injury it snapped at the STI lever end with the cable well and truly jammed in (beyond my skill to fish it out). Trip to LBS after returning home fixed it for a tenner including cable good value and lesson learnt.

I know better now and replace my cables (and cassette) annually - chain more often. :oops:
  • t5nel
    t5nel Posts: 365
    Quite right!

Mine snapped last week after 10 months and took the sleeving with it as it pulled some of the frayed length through...

Did a precautionary replacement of all cables on saturday and had forgotten how good the brakes are and how fast the shift is!!!

I am very happy it did not happen on my trip up the Alps during the Etape! Also planning to change tyres just in case...

Tim
    My bikes
    MTB - 1997 Kona Kula
    Hybrid - Kona Dew Deluxe
    Road - 2011 Ribble Gran Fondo, Omega Matrix Ultegra
  • bikergirl17
    bikergirl17 Posts: 344
    mine have snapped several times, once a week after getting a full service (!). but usually there is a 'heads up' as the shifting starts to get funky, no matter how much you play around with the indexing.

you can tie it up, making your bike a single speed (as it inevitably happens when you are in the middle of nowhere, a huge hill ahead). but i guess that wouldn't really work on the etape.
  • getprg
    A good way to check cable condition at the lever end is, whilst off the bike, to shift to smallest cog/ring back and front and then press each lever as tho changing up whilst inspecting the cable where it terminates in the lever. The cable wears as it passes over the cam.

It's easy to see if it has started fraying - if so, change cable immediately.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    mine have snapped several times, once a week after getting a full service (!). but usually there is a 'heads up' as the shifting starts to get funky, no matter how much you play around with the indexing.

you can tie it up, making your bike a single speed (as it inevitably happens when you are in the middle of nowhere, a huge hill ahead). but i guess that wouldn't really work on the etape.

This is what I did, put a cable tie around the rear mech to push the rear gears into a moderate sprocket. As I was on a triple I then had three gears to play with. I used to ride a drop bar single speed a lot so it wasn't too bad but I was glad I got the full set of 30 gears back for later in the ride
  • getprg
    Vorsprung wrote

This is what I did, put a cable tie around the rear mech to push the rear gears into a moderate sprocket. As I was on a triple I then had three gears to play with. I used to ride a drop bar single speed a lot so it wasn't too bad but I was glad I got the full set of 30 gears back for later in the ride

If you don't have a cable tie (although they are pretty essential emergency kit useful for lots of things) but have pocket tool with hex wrench (allen key) you can tie off the rear (or front) changer cable to a bottle cage bolt leaving it in a mid position (that's what I did with my front cable - with quite a lot left over!). Not pretty but effective.