Getting a saddle level

bikeit65
bikeit65 Posts: 982
edited June 2012 in Workshop
I will soon be fitting a new saddle onto a winter bike, so how do i get it perfectly level as most saddles have a slight dip in them?
https://www.instagram.com/seanmcgrathphotography/
Planet X RT58
Cannondale CAAD 10 2012.
Pain.. Is weakness leaving the body.

HATING LIFE-CYCLES FROM 2011

Comments

• KINGGARY
    KINGGARY Posts: 89
    Flat block of wood and a spirit level normally works for me
  • bikeit65
    I used that method before but the mechanic at LBS said you are not getting it level as the ground the bike is on will never be level.
    Planet X RT58
    Cannondale CAAD 10 2012.

• Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Then use a spirit level to find some level ground
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Bikeit65 wrote:
    I used that method before but the mechanic at LBS said you are not getting it level as the ground the bike is on will never be level.
    Are you ever going to be riding on 100% level ground? Are spirit levels 100% accurate?

The answer is of course 'no'. So ask your mechanic friend why it would matter if you don't measure levelness of the saddle on ground that isn't 100% level.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • bikeit65
    :lol::lol:
    Thanks.
    Planet X RT58
    Cannondale CAAD 10 2012.

• Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    I find the easiest way to find level ground is to go indoors. ;)
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Gizmo_ wrote:
    I find the easiest way to find level ground is to go indoors. ;)

Congratulations to the man who doesn't live in a Barrett home :lol:(neither do I!)

Actually, I find the tricky one is getting the saddle pointing straight ahead. Given that they often don't seem that symetrical anyway, and then all the printing and stitching seems to be way off, and then there are the effects of offset lighting, I do find being sure it's straight isn't as easy as it should be.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • night_porter
    night_porter Posts: 888
    Put level onto floor, note where the bubble is.

Place bike where level was.

Put something flat on top of the saddle, put the level on top of that.

Adjust saddle so that the bubble is in the same place and then relative to your wheels the saddle will be level.

Or adjust it so that it looks level, if it hurts - change it. If it doesn't, be happy!

Simples!
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Why would you assume that level (whatever that is) is right anyway? Set it approximately level and go for a few rides. If it feels right then great, if not adjust a bit and have a few more rides. If its still not right then adjust and repeat.

Using a spirit level to level a saddle is one of the daftest things I've heard for quite some time....
    More problems but still living....
  • bikeit65
    Going on the advise from the guys a Cyclefit in London when i had a bike fitting done there advise was always set your saddle perfectly level.
    Planet X RT58
    Cannondale CAAD 10 2012.

• lef
    lef Posts: 728
    as a starting point yes for level but nose up or down may be better for some so worth experimenting a little if it doesn't feel quite right. Level on a SMP saddle irritates a nerve in my lower back / glute where as very slightly down no problem.
  • surfgod
    surfgod Posts: 97
    1-Before you begin, make sure the floor that your bike sits on is level.

2-use a long type carpenters level, and take your time setting the saddles fore-aft position before you begin tightening those seatpost cradle bolts.

3- Don't forget to factor the curvature of the earth into your calculations :wink:
  • bikeit65
    :lol::lol::lol:
    Planet X RT58
    Cannondale CAAD 10 2012.

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    amaferanga wrote:
    Why would you assume that level (whatever that is) is right anyway?
    Using a spirit level to level a saddle is one of the daftest things I've heard for quite some time....
    Totally agree that there is no real reason to have a saddle perfectly level. Who says this is the rule?
    As for using a level, I find that I like the nose of my saddle up slightly. If my saddle is level or sloping down slightly I feel like I'm always sliding forward on it. So I use the level to be sure that the nose is up ever so slightly from the rear.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    As a non-symetrical bi-ped do you check that your @ss is square before checking that your house is level?
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184

ditto that method, and then make minor adjustments to suit myself---being absolutely level does not equate to being optimal setup, what is most comfortable tilt for you is teh best :):)
  • Mike67
    Mike67 Posts: 585
    JamesB wrote:

ditto that method, and then make minor adjustments to suit myself---being absolutely level does not equate to being optimal setup, what is most comfortable tilt for you is teh best :):)

Does that work if the tail of the saddle has a rise in it?. Which bit is used to class the saddle as level if the saddle isn't totally flat?.
    Only asking as I tend to judge level on mine using the middle and front end.

If I used the piece of wood/spirit level method then the front would be up slightly in relation to the ground to compensate for the rise at the rear.
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Mike67 wrote:
    JamesB wrote:

Does that work if the tail of the saddle has a rise in it?. Which bit is used to class the saddle as level if the saddle isn't totally flat?.
    Only asking as I tend to judge level on mine using the middle and front end.

If I used the piece of wood/spirit level method then the front would be up slightly in relation to the ground to compensate for the rise at the rear.
    FWIW I put the nose slightly higher than the highest point in back.
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    Rolf F wrote:
    Actually, I find the tricky one is getting the saddle pointing straight ahead. Given that they often don't seem that symetrical anyway, and then all the printing and stitching seems to be way off, and then there are the effects of offset lighting, I do find being sure it's straight isn't as easy as it should be.

it's easiest to sight along the saddle from behind, using the centre bolt on the headset cap as your reference for lining up the nose.
    If you want to be really anal about it anyway...