Cannock tonight, at least 8 people with no helmets

appy
appy Posts: 408
edited July 2012 in MTB general
Why? Im a trauma medic and if i find you lying in a heap with your head caved in do you think i should stop and help? Do you think people who ride with no helmet deserve help when they dont take some measures to help themselves? Seriously ..retards

Rant over.......

Comments

• You don't seem so compassionate for a "trauma medic"......?
  • appy
    You don't seem so compassionate for a "trauma medic"......?

Why?
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    As a trauma medic do you habitually make an assessment of whether your patients deserve treatment before administering it? How do you assess who warrants your time? Do you have a 20 point questionaire for people to complete before hand?

For examples - do you treat a kid with burns who played with fireworks or should he have known better? How about a gardener who ran over his foot with a lawn mower? Or a DIYer who hit his hand with a hammer? They could all have seen the danger, where aware of the potential consequences but carried on.

I personally always wear a helmet and would like to see everyone wear one too and I know mine has saved me from a far worse injury than I ended up with. However, I find a holier than though "I'm a medic and I wouldn't even help them" attitude a little less than helpful to the cause of helmet advocacy.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Is something I see often - I think though that the rider should assess their risks and make their own mind up regarding helmets. I don't judge either camp.
  • appy
    "I'm a medic and I wouldn't even help them" attitude a little less than helpful to the cause of helmet advocacy.

Where did i say i woudn't help?

Accidents happen but as an adult you should at least take a minimal approach to protection. A burn to a hand, a cut foot wont leave you a dribbling wreck and leave your family looking after you for the rest of your life.
  • al2098
    al2098 Posts: 174
    I'm not trauma medic but I would help.
    I guess I'm a decent person.
    You sound like a judgemental raving lunatic.
    Many people would argue the benefits of wearing a flimsy MTB helmet.
    It would not matter to me if someone was hurt if I disagreed with their choice to wear a helmet.
    Also what do you mean by 'retards'
    Are you refering to people with disabilities as being inferior or normal people who are silly enough to not conform to your idea of reasonable behaviour. ?
    I don't think you are a trauma medic. Your a fraud. If not then your in the wrong job and eventually you will be found out as the idiot you are.
  • appy
    raving lunatic? that made me laugh, not at all i just feel that people should take some precaution even if its just a token gesture. Fraud? i love my job and treat everyone the same, i wouldnt do it otherwise. Just because i dont agree with something doesnt mean ill treat them different but it doesnt mean im not allowed to have an opinion on it. Isnt that the whole point of a forum to have opinions and put the world to rights?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    appy wrote:
    Accidents happen but as an adult you should at least take a minimal approach to protection. A burn to a hand, a cut foot wont leave you a dribbling wreck and leave your family looking after you for the rest of your life.

Course, the odds that a mtb injury will are vanishingly small, helmet or not. You're more likely to suffer a serious head injury while walking than while mountain biking, but look at all these morons walking around with no helmets on.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • danlightbulb
    danlightbulb Posts: 701
    I agree with the OP. He could have phrased it better, but helmets surely are an essential piece of protective gear.

I came off last week, went over the bars, landed on my elbow and head and had the bike land on top of me. Without helmet on who knows what other more serious injuries I would have suffered. I have kids and I want them to have a dad.

Anyone who doesn't wear a helmet while mountain biking is an idiot.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234

You sound like an idiot, I guess you dont wear a helmet.

If you are riding in your comfort zone and are confident in your abilities then its not necessary. Pootling round Cannock, its hardly pushing the boundaries. You're probably just as likely to slip and fall on the stairs, or crossing the street.

I'd argue that riding bikes fast and agressively downhills, outside of what you're comfortable with, is idiotic - regardless of whether you're wearing safety gear or not. If anyone doesnt "deserve your help" then I guess its these people. I hope you arent a paramedic at a downhill race.
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    Funny post.

In some capacities I agree with you, however your a d!ck.
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    Its up to people to do what they want to I guess. I always wear one, because whilst the rest of the body can heal itself the brain won't. Not saying a helmet guarantees I won't get a serious head injury, but it does reduce the chance should an accident happen.

Sometimes I guess it's a reactive thing - people start wearing them after they've crashed, which is probably the wrong way round. Ah well!
  • danlightbulb
    styxd wrote:
    You sound like an idiot, I guess you dont wear a helmet.

???

Are you an idiot? Please explain how i'm an idiot for advocating the use of protective gear.

Of course you can die in all kinds of everyday circumstances, but in going mountain biking you are deliberately exposing yourself to a specific kind of risk for which there is dedicated protective gear. ANYONE can fall off, and it only takes a 1" stone on the trail and your head lands on it and its game over for you. I guess if you want to take the risk its your life, hence why the OP is saying that if someone doesn't go to any measures to protect themselves, then they deserve what they get.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    styxd wrote:
    [helmet.

If you are riding in your comfort zone and are confident in your abilities then its not necessary. Pootling round Cannock, its hardly pushing the boundaries. .

utter crap, i came off and knocked mysel unconcious at FoD which is a piece of wee wee trail compared to what i usually ride - and i was wearing a helmet. what would have happened had i not been?
  • danlightbulb
    welshkev wrote:
    styxd wrote:
    [helmet.

If you are riding in your comfort zone and are confident in your abilities then its not necessary. Pootling round Cannock, its hardly pushing the boundaries. .

utter crap, i came off and knocked mysel unconcious at FoD which is a piece of wee wee trail compared to what i usually ride - and i was wearing a helmet. what would have happened had i not been?

Well said.

People who don't wear helmets in my opinion are worried about themselves looking stupid. It reminds me of when I rode bikes as a kid, no-one wore helmets and the mere suggestion of it was met with ridicule by childhood peers. Its about looking the big man, the hard guy. 'Look at me girls I don't need a helmet' attitude.
  • lighty89
    lighty89 Posts: 183
    Helmets are a must.
    MTB - VooDoo Bantu
    Commuter - Raleigh Grande
  • supersonic
    I have knocked myself out 4 times now, never once on a bike - it is up to the user to decide what is best for them.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    edited June 2012
    I live in Portsmouth, so I am much more likely to have my head injured when walking to the post office than when I am riding my bike round the woods. I do not wear a helmet to walk to the post office... or a stab vest. Would you refuse to treat me OP?

I do wear a helmet when I ride my bike though.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    supersonic wrote:
    I have knocked myself out 4 times now, never once on a bike - it is up to the user to decide what is best for them.

i agree, but you're stupid if you don't wear a helmet :wink:

personally i think it should be law but hey ho. i see a guy every day on the way to and from work riding up a busy dual carrige way with no helmet and i cringe everytime i see him thinking what could happen if he was to come off.

but yeah obviously peope are (usually) big and clever enough to think for themselves, i think for me it's just because i have come off a few times and banged my head that it's just automatic to put the helmet on everytime i go out
  • lighty89
    On Tarmac and Roads they are a must, fall there and your head is split open.
    MTB - VooDoo Bantu
  • supersonic
    I doub't the stats are 100% of falls = head split open!
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    welshkev wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

i agree, but you're stupid if you don't wear a helmet :wink:

personally i think it should be law but hey ho. i see a guy every day on the way to and from work riding up a busy dual carrige way with no helmet and i cringe everytime i see him thinking what could happen if he was to come off.

but yeah obviously peope are (usually) big and clever enough to think for themselves, i think for me it's just because i have come off a few times and banged my head that it's just automatic to put the helmet on everytime i go out

Im with Kev,

Just because so many percentage of crashes do not include your head doesn't mean you shouldn't provide for it, as the one crash that does include your head is likely to be the one that does the permanent damage.

People argueeing the other way i feel are just being a bit foolish/childish.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I read on the internet that helmets cause more damage than they prevent.

If I remember correctly it was Sheepsteeth who said it, so it must be true.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I wear one myself. Seems like basic safety common sense really, especially when surrounded by rocks, trees, low branches, and all those other things just waiting to cause head injury. Plus, I find the triangular straps around the ear quite handy 'cos they mean I can pop my earphones out if needed without them going for a wander. Yeah, it makes me look daft, but not being a stunner to start with it's no great loss on my account.
  • Its all relative though isn't it... We could all have a crash and smash our face off something pointy, yet we don't wear full face gear...

Also depends on what we do and how fast we do it, if you were just doing a family ride (to take the extremes) would you still wear your helmet?
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Also depends on what we do and how fast we do it, if you were just doing a family ride (to take the extremes) would you still wear your helmet?

Yes, probably more likely to. Have to set an example for the younglings.
  • lighty89
    Rock hitting your head no helmet on = cracked skull bleeding.
    With helmet, a bruise maybe?
    MTB - VooDoo Bantu
  • umchpetrol
    umchpetrol Posts: 32
    styxd wrote:

If you are riding in your comfort zone and are confident in your abilities then its not necessary.

Thats good mentality; I'll remember to apply this level of thinking next time I go to the shops 5 minutes from my house on a nice, quiet 30mph limit and not bother to put my seatbelt on.
  • exlaser
    exlaser Posts: 264
    in the grand scheme of things, i would rather people rode bikes with out helmets, rather than not cycle at all.

its still better for peoples health to cycle with out helmets than to not cycle at all.
    if we want cycleing to be a method of mass transport, it has to be seen to be normal ie no special clothes or helmets. like the dutch!!!!

also, walking is more dangerious( per mile traveled) than cycling, why dont they wear helmets?
    Van Nicholas Ventus
    Rose Xeon RS
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    I think it's personal choice...

I wear one every time... ( personally because i'm very image conscious and you look odd or like a pauper who hasn't got a clue )

Just so happens it helps protect your noggin aswell...
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838