What camcorder

bartman100
bartman100 Posts: 544
edited June 2012 in The cake stop
Hello,

I'm looking to buy a camcorder for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I'd like to take some footage of rides I do - so a helmet cam would be good. Secondly, my daughter is showing some flare for making short films on her camera phone and I want to help mentor her with this. So, is there a good compromise camera that I can use as for 'sports' usage (i.e. might get wet, muddy, fall off bike) and also sufficient for creating decent HD videos that we can edit together on the PC?

Currently looking at a Contour Roam or Contour Plus: http://contour.com/products

Any thoughts appreciated.

Comments

• MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    If you want high quality footage and a bombproof design, there's no substitute for the HD Hero 2.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • bartman100
    bartman100 Posts: 544
    Hmmm, ok thanks. Looks a little less smart than the Countour but is a cheaper option.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    That HD Hero 2 looks huge though... are there any bullet cams that would look stealthy on a road bike / helmet? (but still good quality, long battery etc...)
  • MattC59
    You're right, the HD hero doesn't look quite as smart as others on the market, but it's known to be the best for the job. There are numerous mounts for it, so you can attache it to your helmet, frame, car, wrist, chest harness, or pretty much what ever you like. You see a lot of tv production companies using it where they need a small remote camera. There's also a clip on screen for the back of it, so that you can review your video, as well as additional batteries and even a 3d casing and software (requires two HD Heros)

It provides broadcast quality footage, Top gear us it to provide the in car footage that you see on tv, and you see a lot of documentaties wherer it's being used to get footage of the presenter up close, or in harsh environments. If you have a look below, you'll see the BBC reporter using one in the sea. The close up footage of him actually in the sea is directly from the HD Hero.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/9728920.stm
  • MattC59
    Secteur wrote:
    That HD Hero 2 looks huge though... are there any bullet cams that would look stealthy on a road bike / helmet? (but still good quality, long battery etc...)

It's not huge, just a little cumbersom looking. Of course it depends what you want the camera for; do you want the films to look good, or do you want the camera to look good ? At the moment, that's the choice you have.