Hail Storm

Secteur
Secteur Posts: 1,971
edited July 2012 in The cake stop
Got caught in a hail storm on todays freezing and windy ride.

FFS, it's the 23rd June.

I despair.

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,435
    i'm sending this month back, i ordered a flaming june, but they sent me a november by mistake
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Blancmange
    Blancmange Posts: 103
    I went out this Saturday afternoon. The Met weather forecast was for white cloud and a
    strong SWS wind. Half-an-hour down the road it was hail-stoning on me. This turned to
    rain, then drizzle. I stuck it out for two hours in my Summer kit before I'd suffered enough.

My hands were frozen claws when I got home. So I had a hot bath to get my body back
    up to working temp.

And the days are now getting shorter. Hmm! :(
    - Slave to the cadence -
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    I was disappointed with the weather in Cumbria last weekend. Have you noticed what has happened now? 80 to 100 mm of rain in one day! We're Doomed!
    The older I get the faster I was
  • neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    it was cool yesterday, we could turn off the A/C. Still meant to be 31C again by the end of the week.
    FCN 12
  • lone wheeler
    lone wheeler Posts: 163
    A toasty 43c here today, humidity is a nightmare though!
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    last two posts a bit insensitive.

Sun N~O~T shining here, it is only 28c.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • lone wheeler
    8) :D
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    make that three insesitive posts 41 in palma today :-)
  • 43°C = too hot
    41°C = too hot
    31°C = too hot
    28°C = just about bearable if sat in the shade with a fan, but too hot for cycling

You lot can keep your excessive heat, I'll settle for a nice cool temperate climate thanks.
  • domgears
    domgears Posts: 135
    Here in sunny Singapore the temp is constantly between 28-35 (in the shade) with humidity in the 90s all year round.

So either its hot and your soaking wet from sweat
    or
    its hot and soaking wet from the rain.

The lowest it ever gets is about 25oC at night during a thunder storm.

Oh how I long for cooler days, I have been here for 6 years with no break to a cooler climate, the only break from the heat is aircon.
  • lone wheeler
    44 here today with 70% humidity, not seen rain since about last november or december.

One of the main issues we have is walking on the floor to get from the sun loungers to the pool, it doesn't half burn your feet!
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    43°C = too hot
    41°C = too hot
    31°C = too hot
    28°C = just about bearable if sat in the shade with a fan, but too hot for cycling

You lot can keep your excessive heat, I'll settle for a nice cool temperate climate thanks.

My post was at 11pm, hence no sunshine and only 28c. :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • lone wheeler
    We still do weekly rides, about 120 - 130 riders turn up every friday morning at 6am and we do a maximum of 120k's. It's roasting by the time we finish but better than not getting out at all. We have support vehicles with water etc thankfully. There are evening rides during the week too.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    We still do weekly rides, about 120 - 130 riders turn up every friday morning at 6am and we do a maximum of 120k's. It's roasting by the time we finish but better than not getting out at all. We have support vehicles with water etc thankfully. There are evening rides during the week too.

That's a fair few riders! Having been out there at the start of September, I can't imagine what it's like at the hight of summer.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • lone wheeler
    Its a great sight to see, we usually have different rides for different abilities ranging from a steady 45k to a fast 120k. There is also another group of riders that start at a varying location and again, there must be 100 riders turn up for that too. Cycling has really taken off here in the last couple of years.

I agree that the summer does get a bit hot, especially when you stop!
  • Blancmange
    Its a great sight to see, we usually have different rides for different abilities ranging from a steady 45k to a fast 120k. There is also another group of riders that start at a varying location and again, there must be 100 riders turn up for that too. Cycling has really taken off here in the last couple of years.

I agree that the summer does get a bit hot, especially when you stop!

Do you have any/many hills to challenge you over there? I imagine the road surfaces are pretty
    good. Are Dubai's motorists generally happy sharing the tarmac with cyclists?
    - Slave to the cadence -
  • lone wheeler
    Hills are an hour's drive away in Hatta. We usually meet up and ride out as large groups with safety cars(s) as the drivers over here are not the most cycling friendly to say the least and we don't ride on the busy roads. The government have just spent 19m AED on a new cycle road that runs parallel to the normal road and they have also built a new purpose built cycle park that has three different circuits on it so the government are really behind it, breath of fresh air to be honest.

The road surfaces are amazing, not a pot hole in sight so i always ride tubulars :0)
  • Blancmange
    Hills are an hour's drive away in Hatta. We usually meet up and ride out as large groups with safety cars(s) as the drivers over here are not the most cycling friendly to say the least and we don't ride on the busy roads. The government have just spent 19m AED on a new cycle road that runs parallel to the normal road and they have also built a new purpose built cycle park that has three different circuits on it so the government are really behind it, breath of fresh air to be honest.

The road surfaces are amazing, not a pot hole in sight so i always ride tubulars :0)

Thanks for the interesting info.

Shame the hills are so far away from you. I'm not sure whether separate cycle roads are a good or
    a bad thing, due to the signals it sends to motorists. I really envy you your amazing road surfaces.
    I despair at some of the ones we have to put up with over here.
    - Slave to the cadence -
  • lone wheeler
    I've ridden and raced on the UK roads for far too many years to remember and only been out here for two years. The one thing i miss about cycling in the UK is riding through the countryside and racing but i don't miss the weather, the roads or the drivers. Check out 'cycle safe dubai' on google, its one of the groups out here that ride every week.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Yesterday (1st July), I went out in full winter gear.

Got p*ss wet through and blown all over the road.

It feels like in a disaster movie... is the world going to end soon?