Trek or Specialized ?

sark716
sark716 Posts: 45
edited June 2012 in Road buying advice
Hi folks.

I'm looking for a new road bike. Working to a budget. I have seen the Trek 1.1. 2012, and I may have a chance of a Specialized Allez 16 next month.

I'm quite a big chap weighing in around 17 1/2 stone, and I have been advised to stick to the Trek as I may have problems with the Carbon forks on the Specialized.

Has anyone got any thoughts and advice please ?

Comments

• yeachan153
    yeachan153 Posts: 401
    Specialized have good customer service; trek looks better, both specs are same and frame at this price is near identical. Go for the one that fits you.
  • datasone
    datasone Posts: 35
    If it makes any difference the trek has pannier and mudguard mounts
  • sark716
    thanks for that. I was told that I would have problems with a bike with carbon forks due to my weight.
  • who told you that?
  • sark716
    I owner of a bike shop I was in today. Suggested I went for the Trek instead of the Specialized. Not that he had any to sell.

Though he tried to sell me a Felt Z95, but that was out of my price range.
  • well Specialized have a weight limit of 250lbs for carbon components which is close to your weight, both are good bikes but the Allez is probably more race specific with a shorter head tube, the Trek more general purpose. On looks and quality I'd go for the Allez, the weight will soon drop off you, but it's your call.
  • sark716
    thanks for that. Thought he might have been feeding a line.

I like the Allez as it seems to be a well built frame and good quality finishing kit. The Trek seems quite good as well.