Internal cable routing - a good thing?

philkeeble
philkeeble Posts: 109
edited June 2012 in Workshop
I have internal brake cable routing on the top tube of my 531 hand-built audax bike, and have had some problems with the cable rattling in the guide. It's easily fixed by removing and greasing the cable inner.

But what about the new trend exemplified on the Focus Izalco range where all 4 cables are internally routed within the carbon frame. Is this a recipe for 4 times the chance of a rattle? You can't grease up a gear cable without affecting drag and risking the crispness of the gear change. Rear derailleur cable turns a corner at the BB, so how will wear affect the 'tunnel' over time? In fact, even new, drag must be greater than free-spanning cable runs. How waterproof is the cable entry and will the 'tunnel' fill up after a couple of hours driving through our current weather with the bike on the roof rack? And what if the tunnel ever blocks and you can't get a new cable fitted - what's plan B when there are no cable stops for external cabling.

Hmmm. What do people think?
Cheers,
Phil, in Inverurie

Comments

• Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I've got an Izalco and you don't get any rattle, there's a fine plastic tube/guide that you push the inner cable into and then it pops out at the other end, simple....ish.
    Reg the BB - The cable guide pops out under the bottom of the BB, then it feeds back into the BB(creating a flat loop) before exiting in the usual place behind the seat tube, there's a rubber sheath between the exit and the front derailleur. The cable for the rear mech exits on the top of the chainstay and feeds as normal.
    It does give the bike a cleaner look but i find the steering slightly tighter, probably down to the lack of cable between the bars and frame.
    I use the bike as a wet weather bike, there hasn't been an issue with water and it hasn't got any cruds on either due to the lack of clearance, so it gets a soaking.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I have a new Specialized Roubaix SL3 with internal routing and Ultegra shifters. Shifting isn't as crisp as my older external routing bike with Dura-Ace 7800 and even my 9 speed 105 tourer is more positive. It's liveable with and not dreadful but you do need to think a bit more about exactly how you're using the shifter.

Now part of this is because the new ten speed groupos route the cable under the bar tape. But the internal frame routing won't help matters. That said is looks a lot cleaner and keeps the weather out of the cables too. Never had any rattle problems.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!