bikes on a train

SUPERSUTT
SUPERSUTT Posts: 292
edited June 2012 in MTB general
hi guys im on a charity bike ride from Scunthorpe to kings lynn but im also the safety car driver for the guys doing the Thirsk to Scunthorpe so i will be getting the train from Chester to Thirsk then from Kings Lynn back to chester 3 days later. I have checked out the prices for a single one way ticket but cant find outhow much extra to carry my bike on with me.

The charity bike ride is E2E starting at John O Grotes on the 24th August and finishing at Portsmouth on the 2nd September. There is 10 sections and 34 riders with 3 to 4 riders in each section.
So far we have raised £10,000 and hopeing to raise a bit more.

cheers sutty
falling off doesn't hurt....its the landing that hurts

FS Giant Trance X3 (2013)
FS Specialized Camber 2011 (2011)=(stolen)
HT Merlin Malt one (sold)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you need to book bikes onto the trains.

some train have very limited bike spaces and times that they can be taken.

unless things have improved.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • SUPERSUTT
    yes i read that on the web site while pricing up my ticket's but does it cost more to take my bike.

• lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    Nope, it's free to takes bikes on trains: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/passenger ... lists.html.
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    book them through the trainline and there is no option to book bike (but options for everything else!)

go to the station and book you tickets with bike, make sure you have already got the trainline data and costs as the system is so complex......

good luck you will need it....
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Phone the train company or station to find out.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    Don't book throught eh trainline, book through National Rail, or one of the train companies' websites, for the trainline charges you extra and takes a cut themselves.

Chester to Thirsk: Guessing its into Manchester then up to Thirsk. Northern do not require you to book but TransPennine Express do.

Kings Llyn to Chester: I'm not too sure on that one but guessing you'd use the East Midlands Trains (norwich) - Peterborough - Manchester (- Liverpool) at some point. I know you need to book bikes onto that.

A quick phone call to National Rail would probably be best though
  • jeannot18
    jeannot18 Posts: 720
    Usually depends also on what time you are traveling. If it is rush hour they may not allow you to take the bike on. I have just done the South Downs Way and the train we took from Eastbourne to Winchester had special carriage to put your bike on (maximum of 3 bikes), we took a gamble and had no problem, but this was an early afternoon train. As mentioned call the stations involved, and get the name of the person you speak to just in case.
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
    Specialized Elite Allez with 105
    Rockrider 8.1 : )
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Bikes on a train - the long awaited sequel to Snakes on a Plane.
  • TwellySmat wrote:
    Bikes on a train - the long awaited sequel to Snakes on a Plane.

'Enough is enough already, I've had it with these motherfu*king bikes on the motherfu*king train'.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    'Enough is enough already, I've had it with these motherfu*king bikes on the motherfu*king train'.
  • fyldesmurf
    fyldesmurf Posts: 412
    I do this quite a lot, being young and unable to afford a car/insurance... i tend to find there's no real problems as long as it's not an overly busy time. Just watch the train as it comes in and one of the doors will have a bike symbol on it, just aim for that when embarking.... the only company i've bad to book with is Virgin who can get a bit arsey about it. They keep the bikes in a separate carriage though so i think are mainly worried about thieves.
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    Virgin were easy for me. Just booked online and then when I got to the station I just asked one of the Virgin people on the station and they directed me where to go and helped me on. then,when getting off, they helped me off.
    They are in a separe carriage that is locked however, and you can lock it too the train sono massive problems there. If you really need to you can sit next to the only door to the carriage and go in at every station to make sure your stuff isn't nicked
  • lighty89
    lighty89 Posts: 183
    Seen plenty of people on Trains with Bikes.
    MTB - VooDoo Bantu
    Commuter - Raleigh Grande
  • SUPERSUTT
    compo wrote:
    Don't book throught eh trainline, book through National Rail, or one of the train companies' websites, for the trainline charges you extra and takes a cut themselves.

Chester to Thirsk: Guessing its into Manchester then up to Thirsk. Northern do not require you to book but TransPennine Express do.

Kings Llyn to Chester: I'm not too sure on that one but guessing you'd use the East Midlands Trains (norwich) - Peterborough - Manchester (- Liverpool) at some point. I know you need to book bikes onto that.

A quick phone call to National Rail would probably be best though

Chester to Thirsk change at Picadilly Manchester onto Thirsk

kings Lynn to Chester via kings cross, London then tube to Euston then train to Chester. no direct servies to chester,so im thinging on getting a lift back to Scunthorpe then train from there. it means another night in a hotel but the company are paying