Yorkshire 3 peaks by bike?

Curly93
Curly93 Posts: 20
edited June 2012 in Routes
Me and a friend where thinking of camping near Horton and doing the Yorkshire 3 peaks by bike. I was just wondering if this would do-able? and how much of it would we be able to ride? From what I've seen some bits look pretty good and others look unrideable. Does anyone have any experience? We'd be doing it on decent hardtails and we've both done the black and red routes at Dalby pretty comfortably so fitness and bike handling wouldn't be a problem. What are your thoughts? cheers

Comments

• John Moore
    John Moore Posts: 580
    It's not doable at al as bikes are banned on all but the day of the 3 peaks cx race.

Sorry
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Bikes are not banned.Under current legislation bikes cannot ride on Footpaths without permission from the landowners.
    Technically as it's all footpaths bikes are not legitimately allowed.This applies to all English footpaths and not just the Three Peaks.Some people choose to ride FPs some don't.I am the latter.
    Having said that I wouldn't bother with the Three Peaks even if I did ride FP's as there is much better riding elsewhere.
    There are loads of threads on here and other Forums arguing about the legality of riding FP's etc,do a search and make up your own mind.
  • John Moore
    John Moore Posts: 580
    ibbo68

FYI your Yorkshire rose is the wrong way up.

Yorkshire roses have the flat petal to the top.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Some cracking tracks over the West Cam High road. Some really good trails head off from Horton. You'll not be dissapointed, even with not doing the 3 Peaks.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • sniper68
    edited June 2011
    John Moore wrote:
    ibbo68

FYI
    troll, troll,troll,troll,troll,troll.

We're talking about access legislation not Avatars.
    But:-
    Original coat of Arms of the House of York
    ywestrid.jpg
    Notice the rose sits on 2 points.When the Ridings were disbanded in 1974 the modern rose was shown sitting on 1 point :wink:
  • altern_8
    altern_8 Posts: 1,562
    All id say without getting into the "to ride or not to ride footpaths",is to get out on some natural trails,rather then riding round dalby,and then see how fit you feel,ive rode dalby in the last few months and it was easy,then on sunday i rode the peaks,and i was struggling in parts,even tho ive been riding the moors(twice a week) and the peaks since january,and thought i was fit.......its a hole diff ball game,going from trail centres to riding natural stuff.
  • sniper68
    I'd echo what Altern8 said.Trail Centres,not just Dalby,are designed to be challenging but ridable,natural trails are a different ball game.I've walked up Helvellyn in the Lakes many times but the ride/carry/push up was one of the toughest rides I've done :lol:
    There are rides around there,Tour of Pen-Y-Ghent,Tour D'Ingleborough etc that loop around the fells rather than summiting which will probably be more enjoyable/ridable.
    If you really must hit the tops then do it mid-week when there aren't so many walkers and be prepared to do a lot of hike-a-bike and if it's been wet many parts will be boggy :)
  • Curly93
    Curly93 Posts: 20
    Cheers for the advice guys, I'll look into other trails but I really like the idea of summiting. I'll ask my mate what he thinks. If I do it then I'll probably start it early morning mid week, because I get the whole summer off :D
  • Si82
    Si82 Posts: 1
    Curly93 wrote:
    Cheers for the advice guys, I'll look into other trails but I really like the idea of summiting. I'll ask my mate what he thinks. If I do it then I'll probably start it early morning mid week, because I get the whole summer off :D

Curly93, did you end up doing this ride? if so how was it? Thinking about doing it myself but not sure about the whole, legal situation/rideability.... :?
  • sniper68
    Si82 wrote:
    Curly93, did you end up doing this ride? if so how was it? Thinking about doing it myself but not sure about the whole, legal situation/rideability.... :?
    They're all summitable with some hike-a-bike/push/carry.But technically not legal as all tracks to the summits,apart from one on ingleborough,are footpath not Bridleways.There's an exception to the rule once a year(IIRC)on Pen-Y-Ghent when a Cyclo-cross race is held.