Washing clothes

the_scattman
the_scattman Posts: 17
edited June 2012 in Road general
To All.

Despite washing my clothes straight after a ride they still come out the washing machine slightly smelly :( . I don't use conditioner as it's not recommended, so does anyone have any recommendations/tips to prevent this.

Thanks

Comments

• Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    When you go in the shower after a ride, keep your clothes on and scrub them with the soap while they're still on your body. Then wash them in the washing machine as normal, perhaps with a pre-wash.

If this doesn't work try leaving them to soak for a few hours in some antibacterial disinfectant.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    I had this problem but thought it was because I sometimes left them festering for a day or two until I had enough washing for a full load :roll: Now I put stuff on a short wash straight away and wash again when I have more stuff.

I use conditioner (never heard not to use it) and sometimes a bit of Vanish powder in the wash which seems to help a bit.

I also heard a hot wash helps get rid of smells, and some detergents work better than others.
  • BruceG
    BruceG Posts: 347
    To All.

Despite washing my clothes straight after a ride they still come out the washing machine slightly smelly :( . I don't use conditioner as it's not recommended, so does anyone have any recommendations/tips to prevent this.

Thanks
    REALLY, you are asking for advice on how to do your laundry in a cycling forum!!!!! PHONE YOUR MOTHER
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    BruceG wrote:
    To All.

Thanks
    REALLY, you are asking for advice on how to do your laundry in a cycling forum!!!!! PHONE YOUR MOTHER

Or b0llock the wife. :lol:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • beinbhan
    beinbhan Posts: 52
    Try using Halo sports wash you can get it at Tescos
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Is it just your cycling kit that's smelly, or ALL your washing... If the latter may be a problem with the machine... Occasionally the waste water pipe on ours blocks and the load smells, needing re-doing...

Otherwise I wonder if your kit is just a bit old and impregnated with bacteria... Maybe boil wash them?
  • I love this forum!
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    The problem with low temperature washes is that they do not truly clean the garments. This is fine for 'lightly soiled' items but fails when 'sweaty' clothing needs cleansing. Use a hotter cycle. The reason fabric conditioners are not used on cycling clothing is that the oils clog the 'technical' fabrics and remove the 'wicking' effect.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    I had this problem but thought it was because I sometimes left them festering for a day or two until I had enough washing for a full load :roll:
    Indeed, better to wash the stuff straight away.

I use conditioner (never heard not to use it) and sometimes a bit of Vanish powder in the wash which seems to help a bit.

I also heard a hot wash helps get rid of smells, and some detergents work better than others.
    Conditioner shouldn't be used on cycling clothing. Apparently it can reduce the effectiveness of wicking fabrics.

Hot wash is not recommended either; some manufacturers recommend 30-40 degrees maximum temperature
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    If you have a number of items try a cold wash first then a hand wash setting. Or a synthetic 40 degree quick wash.Use a soap liquid or flakes. DP liquid soap or 'Granny's Soap Flakes' made into a solution are my choice.
    M.Rushton
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    Just don't wash them for three weeks like this guy!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    beinbhan wrote:

This stuff looks interesting; I'll definitely try it out.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    I never knew you shouldn't use fabric conditioner... Have always used it on all my cycling gear, but I have never consciously noted a loss in clothing performance... But I will stop using it just in case...
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    beinbhan wrote:

+1. There are a couple of good reviews of it on Amazon.
  • Beatmaker wrote:
    beinbhan wrote:

+1. There are a couple of good reviews of it on Amazon.

+2 I have been using this stuff for at least 6 months and it is noticably better at de-stinking sports kit than other washing liquids. Polyester and similar fabrics will suffer if washed in hot water, so Halo is my only choice for sports kit.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Assos Active wear cleanser is good at keeping stuff stink free.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    beinbhan wrote:

^Yep what he says, been using this for a couple of years now, absolutely brilliant and perfect if you are hyper allergic and have to use a non-bio.

If you have really sweaty turbo or roller sessions then I have not found anything better.
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    'Hotter' not 'Hot'.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    Wash lycra at anything over 40 deg C and it'll only be useful to Action Man...

I use BioTex on mine when needed.
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • Leeuw
    Leeuw Posts: 99
    I use whatever is in the cupboard - Ariel, Persil, whatever - but non-bio tablets, on 30deg wash, never had a smelly moment (and I do get a bit sweaty!). However, in my pre-wicking undervest days, I did used to suffer with a bit of post-wash pong.

Are you wearing a wicking undervest? My kit is pretty dry when I get back, and it's in the machine within minutes of getting home...
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,878
    No technical fabric should be washed with conditioner as it will adversely affect the breathability.

Halo was sounds interesting - one to put to the Mrs!
  • bockers
    bockers Posts: 146
    Get a washing machine that has a steam function. Works well with out LG washing machine, but also stick it in the wash as soon as you have taken it off, and don't leave it in the machin after the wash.

As an aside all washing machines should run on their hotest cycle at least once a month. Kills much of the bacteria and prevents the drain pipes blocking.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    Gizmo_ wrote:
    Wash lycra at anything over 40 deg C and it'll only be useful to Action Man...

I use BioTex on mine when needed.

Really? Works for me.

Wash it BEFORE it gets really smelly too.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    FFS

The elastic fibres are gradually broken down by heat, and vigorous spins cycles.

Most bio powders are too aggressive for delicate performance garments and will reduce their life.

The smell is from dampness and can best be got rid of by a few hours in a freezer to kill the bacteria. Although that may damage the elastic...

Stick to supermarket own brand delicates liquid - cheaper than the branded stuff and pretty much the same. Assos is horribly epensive but it does smell lush.

Same thread every year - gets hot and people smell.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    I don't think the Assos stuff is that expensive considering how long it lasts. I use it at least once a week and one bottle lasts the best part of a year. £12 per year isn't really so expensive for a years worth of cleaning.
  • Just put a cap full of vinegar in the wash. Just google vinegar and musty clothes. It really works.
  • Just put a cap full of vinegar in the wash. Just google vinegar and musty clothes. It really works.
    Ahh the Lynx Chip Shop effect

I jest, vinegar is good for cleaning a lot of things - my hobby is detailing cars (no I'm not Polish before you ask :wink: ) and all my micro fibre cloths get a vinegar wash to help break down the waxes / sealants I use.

Also, my Mrs uses that Halo stuff, it "cured" a couple of problem jerseys that never smelt right despite repeated washing - seem fine now so another vote for it !
    A person who aims at nothing is sure to hit it

Canyon Aeroad 7.0 summer missile
    Trek 2.1 winter hack
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    two days ago I ordered Nikwax Basewash from Amazon - it is specifically for sports clothes - it apparently helps the wicking effect and kills the odours.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001DL9MG8/r ... B001DL9MG8

Obviously I have not used it yet - but I saw it being recommended on another bike website so I am going to give it a try
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    Nikwax stuff is usually ludicrously expensive, cleverly compounded by 'usage instructions' which suggest you use an order of magnitude more of the stuff than is probably needed. Surprised the instructions don't say "rinse, repeat" too for added measure, and amazed that such a fat margin business hasn't drawn more (any!) competition. Yet.