I'm looking for a good weight loss cycling story!

daveyroids
daveyroids Posts: 223
edited July 2012 in The cake stop
I know someone that I'm encouraging to take up exercise to help with weight loss. I would say that they probably need to lose around 5 stone. The person wants to go cycling but feels embarrassed and self conscious.

I know over the years people on the forum have posted with their own weight loss stories however I can't find a single one in a search. That is probably down to the fact I am not good at searching.

Can anyone guide me to a good thread, blog even so I can use it as an example and prove that it can be done.

Thanks.

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    edited June 2012
    Search for The Incredible Shrinking Gaz - 39 stone down to 14.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    this guy posts on here - he was once 39 stone

http://theamazing39stonecyclist.wordpress.com/
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • daveyroids
    I knew there was someone. Just could not remember his name. I love some of his goals - Fit into size 66 pants, What! To best sprint speed 43.3mph. You can see this guys dertemination just by reading his goals. Love his before and after shots!

Also think there is some good information in the cavendish article but the incredible shrinking Gaz is an awsome site!

Thanks!
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    http://road.cc/content/blog/47567-126kg ... cat-4-mean

This guy is a member of my local club and a good guy to boot!
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    Back in 2009 I was around 20 stone. The doctor gave me a rollicking about being class 1 obese but I had no idea how to combat it. My Dad was an avid biker at the time and he gave me his ancient Ribble bike.

I was riding a bit at a time but never really noticed I was loosing the weight until a mate mentioned it.

The biking was painful at first, hills hurt like crazy, my knees felt so sore that I wanted to quit but I remember very vividly the point I got addicted.

I was coming along a main road, felt good and then realised I was hitting some serious speed on this normally hard flat section. The buzz was immense! I was addicted. About 6 months later I bought my Scott Speedster.

By the winter of 2010 I had dropped from 20 to 12 stone! Gone were the chubby cheeks, I could see my man bits again, and I could run up and down stairs like I was a kid again.

I too was seriously self concious, hated my belly, felt I looked weird but truth is no one really looks to takes notice. They're too busy with their own lives to care.
  • daveyroids
    Bunneh wrote:
    Back in 2009 I was around 20 stone. The doctor gave me a rollicking about being class 1 obese but I had no idea how to combat it. My Dad was an avid biker at the time and he gave me his ancient Ribble bike.

I was riding a bit at a time but never really noticed I was loosing the weight until a mate mentioned it.

The biking was painful at first, hills hurt like crazy, my knees felt so sore that I wanted to quit but I remember very vividly the point I got addicted.

I was coming along a main road, felt good and then realised I was hitting some serious speed on this normally hard flat section. The buzz was immense! I was addicted. About 6 months later I bought my Scott Speedster.

By the winter of 2010 I had dropped from 20 to 12 stone! Gone were the chubby cheeks, I could see my man bits again, and I could run up and down stairs like I was a kid again.

I too was seriously self concious, hated my belly, felt I looked weird but truth is no one really looks to takes notice. They're too busy with their own lives to care.

Thanks for taking the time to write this. Its an ispiting story. Interesting that your dad was a cyclist. I think it can make a big difference when someone is encouraged and helped along.

Thanks for all of the replies. Being of a tall slim build its hard for me to convince anyone of the benefits of cycling. All I need to do now is show this post and the amazing stories it contains and I've cracked it.
  • daveyroids
    Thanks, thats a nice addition.

That guy's doing well!
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    you've missed the 'currant' one going on in "Training" right now!
    It's mint.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I have lost 25 pounds, with hopefully more to come, because my Doctor discovered that I had become Pre-Diabetic because of my weight. Just thinking about the consequences of Diabetes changed the way I was eating for the better, much better.
  • I had a replacement valve 2 years ago I am only 26. and I had to learn how to exercise from scratch, I started walking to the end of my gate and further and further, I ended up walking 3 miles in 2 weeks after recovery. when I was fit enough I joined a gym, I was 220lbs at this point, I started cycling on a stationary bike and running etc, I got hooked on the bike and decided to buy a cheap road bike, I loved it I started my commute to work 40 miles per week, a year after that I lost 75lbs I upgraded my bike after the weight loss and I now have done 1000miles in a month, completed a solo century and taken part in duathlons. I train about 10-12 hours per week. I have gone from 80bpm resting heart rate down to 39BPM Obese to athlete all on my own.
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Nice work CyclingObsession!

OP, show this little lot to your friend - and good luck to him.

Cycling is probably the best low-impact exercise there is, and you get to see more of the world than when passing at speed in a car - gives you a different perspective.
  • daveyroids
    Yes nice work. I'm really inspired by the personal stories that have come out of posting this.

I trained a fella a number of years ago who had a heart attack in his early 20s. He started riding to the gym and he was getting fitter and slimmer. Your story has brought him back to mind, forgot about him, very similar situation.

I will also search training for that thread thanks.

Thanks again everyone.
  • McQueen
    McQueen Posts: 16
    Ask me again in 6months lol i am trying to drop from 105 kilos down to 75 kilos lol