Star nut for forks install

bwstokie
bwstokie Posts: 115
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all

Just a quick question.....do you usually get a star nut with brand new forks or is it a separate buy needed?

Cheers

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    depends on the forks.

normally with the headset.

i guess you will need to get one.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bwstokie
    I'll get one to be safe, only a couple of quid.

Cheers
  • always seem to come with Rockshox,
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    always seem to come with Rockshox,

My revs from merlin didn't, then again they were in a plain box, no shock pump too (which I think some come with?).
  • bwstokie
    Quick piece of advice if I can - I've had a read of Park Tools.

I haven't got a specific nut install tool so am probably going to have to improvise - has anyone got any tips as I don't want to balls it up?

Should I forget the star nut and go for one of the expansion bolt and sleeve jobbies?

Thanks in advance

Lee
  • nicklouse
    bolt, thread two nuts on. lock them together screw on star nut. fit good leather glove to left hand. if left handed fit it to your other hand). Offer the starnut bolt to the fork and hit it with hammer.

see the glove was useful as that would have hurt.

unscrew bolt. fit fork fit reast of headset and then the steerer and any washers and finally the top cap.

now go find that glove.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • bwstokie
    Sorry must be thick....what's "bolt thread two nuts on. lock them together screw on star nut." mean in mong's terms, can't picture what you mean in my head????
  • nicklouse
    fork102.jpg
    tns11.jpg
    02252010minismoker002.jpg
    the bolt and nut are a makeshift insertion tool.
    and the correct way

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... stallation
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    do not try to bodge a star nut in, if it doesn't go in straight you are in a mess

get a hope expanding bung
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • nicklouse
    edhornby wrote:
    do not try to bodge a star nut in, if it doesn't go in straight you are in a mess

get a hope expanding bung
    worse than an off center star nut.

and if it is at an angle it is easy to straighten.
  • steelie600
    steelie600 Posts: 519
    Agreed + potato

Thats how I did mine, no bother and just give the bolt a wiggle to line it up square! PFFT these none mechanically minded types eh??
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I use an old V brake block, screw it into the starnut and tap it in. You can hold the tip of the block, so you don't need a massive glove (providing you have a bit of co-ordination), and if it starts going skew you can spin it and tap from the opposite side.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bwstokie
    Brilliant thanks!

Last question I promise ;-)

I thought by undoing the top cap and removing the stem the forks would jet drop out but they don't?

They are rockshox pike 409's on a 2010 Marin wolf ridge with the standard FDA headset that it came with.

Cheers for the help!

Lee
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    There is a compression ring. Push the front end down sharply and it may pop up enough to make it easier. Or just give the top of the steerer tube a gentle whack with a mallet.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Plyphon
    Plyphon Posts: 433
    bwstokie wrote:
    Brilliant thanks!

I thought by undoing the top cap and removing the stem the forks would jet drop out but they don't?

Lee

There is a wedge in the top portion of the headset which helps to sit everything square when compression is added and take up any room left over from dodgy manufacturing processes.

This thing sticks, but doesn't require much of a sharp tap of the hammer on the fork steerer (whilst holding the frame) for it to budge.

Just be careful bits of headset don't go flying onto a dusty/gritty floor. :lol: