Dirty hub

wishitwasallflat
wishitwasallflat Posts: 2,927
edited June 2012 in Workshop
No Mods it's not my suggestion for an even more obsene Bottom Bracket section :D

I don't clean my bike half as often as I should but each time I do I fear I become more anal about it. So after today's clean up session - Does anyone clean their hubs? I remember as a kid my dad would reach through between the spokes and tie a bit of twine around the hub so that it cleaned the surface as it span - but - what I remember is a piece of dirty string there rather than a particularily clean hub. Does anyone clean theirs and if so how?

PS = If anyone sits and pokes a cloth or brush or something through the spokes meticulously to clean it bit-by-bit please don't tell me! :shock:

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I poke a WD40-soaked rage through and give it a quick wipe. Only takes a few seconds...
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    I disassemble the wheel completely as it's the only way to give the hub a proper clean.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • No Mods it's not my suggestion for an even more obsene Bottom Bracket section :D

I don't clean my bike half as often as I should but each time I do I fear I become more anal about it. So after today's clean up session - Does anyone clean their hubs? I remember as a kid my dad would reach through between the spokes and tie a bit of twine around the hub so that it cleaned the surface as it span - but - what I remember is a piece of dirty string there rather than a particularily clean hub. Does anyone clean theirs and if so how?

PS = If anyone sits and pokes a cloth or brush or something through the spokes meticulously to clean it bit-by-bit please don't tell me! :shock:

normally leave this to the manservant. I could always ask him to contact yours?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    DesWeller wrote:
    I poke a WD40-soaked rage through and give it a quick wipe. Only takes a few seconds...

Yes - anger is the only way to clean a dirty hub :lol:

I just clean the bike regularly - that way all the dirt comes off quite easily. That's not helpful either is it? :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Dirt is weight.

How much do you have to spend on titanium thingamajigs to save 20g ?
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Rolf F wrote:
    DesWeller wrote:

Yes - anger is the only way to clean a dirty hub :lol:

I just clean the bike regularly - that way all the dirt comes off quite easily. That's not helpful either is it? :lol:

Wow, that was a Freudian typo, wasn't it.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Right thanks very much - I shall enrage my manservant with talk of P45s until he is quite peeved and then set him to work with an old cummerbund and some WD.

PS - My farts weigh more than all the dirt on my bike! :D
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I've been running pipe cleaners on my hubs since christmas.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Clever might try that cheers :!: