Shimano 105 chainset

houndlegs
houndlegs Posts: 267
edited June 2012 in Workshop
Afternoon all
I want to buy a new 105 chainset (compact) ,the 5750 version. Cheapest I can find is Ribble,but I can't phone them on a Saturday. So I have a few questions if you don't mind.

1. Is the spindle actually part of the drive side ?
2. Possibly the best stupid question for a while :D ,but they do come supplied with both cranks don't they ? Not just as shown in the picture on Ribbles website.

Many thanks,if I can find out the info today, I can go ahead and order without having to wait until Monday.

Comments

• night_porter
    night_porter Posts: 888
    Yep
    Yep
  • houndlegs
    Excellent,just what I wanted to know. Many thanks.
  • munzy
    munzy Posts: 111
  • houndlegs
    Munzy wrote:
    Ok now you've gone and thrown that in the mix,and the fact I didn't have time to order the 105 yesterday.
    If I got the ultegra instead,is it a straight swap for the 105,is everything else compatible,chain and bottom bracket etc?
    I was going to get the 105 purely cos that's what's on there now,but an upgrade to ultegra at a cheaper price would be a smarter move wouldn't it ?

Thanks again

Edit. Is the ultegra the newest version,not an older one?
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,560
    ultegra 6700 is the current (non-electronic) version

http://techdocs.shimano.com/techdocs/bl ... ID=jvd7fxa

compatible with 105
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • houndlegs
    sungod wrote:
    ultegra 6700 is the current (non-electronic) version

http://techdocs.shimano.com/techdocs/bl ... ID=jvd7fxa

compatible with 105
    Thanks for that link,much appreciated. I think I'll go down the ultegra route then :D
  • houndlegs
    Ok ultegra is ordered and on its way, so one more quick question if I may please.
    Can I assume when it comes to fitting, whatever the difference is in the radius between my current standard and the ultegra then that's what I move the front mech down the post ?
    Also maybe I'll have to remove a link or two?
    There shouldn't be anything else to consider should there?

Thanks all

PS. Don't anyone go posting a link to a cheaper price now :D
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,560
    don't try to estimate the new position by measuring, just follow the front mech adjustment instructions

go to the techdocs site, if your fd is 105, go to road->105, then choose the correct si* document for your model fd, it'll give you complete instructions

ditto for setting the new chain length
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • houndlegs
    Thanks,I'll try not to pester you much more :D