runing 2 chains to reduce wear?

sigorman85
sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
edited June 2012 in MTB general
hi would runing 2 chains reduce wear on gears and cranks? ie over time the chain will stretch and cause wear so runing 2 would reduce it rite? i dont mean at the same time lol
When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2

Comments

• DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Don't really get what you mean? You should change chains periodically as they wear, as this will save the rest of your drivetrain.
    If your meaning keep swapping the same 2 round, I think thats a bit daft. Just bin and replace.
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    silly idea. change as it wears to save the rest of the drivetrain
  • sigorman85
    was just in the lbs and some one said about it thought i would ask thats all
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

• vanamees
    vanamees Posts: 75
    Use 3 chains.People who use this system state they ride 10- 15000km using 3 chains and 1 cassette.
  • sigorman85
    ive only done 1000 miles its still new its just some thing i herd in the shop and thought about it

• DodgeT
    Mileage means little though, more about areas you ride, gritty etc, how well you look after your bike too.
    Ride in gritty areas and dont clean / lube properly, you'll get through chains quicker than someone in less harsh conditions who looks after there stuff.

Just get yourself a chain wear tool and change when needed, too easy really.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The point is to alternate chains, have one being cleaned etc while you ride with the other. No idea whether it works as I rarely clean my chain except to hose it and relube, but there is a logic to it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • DodgeT
    Ah, makes a bit more sense.
    I just chuck mine in white spirits every so often to get it like new then change when its shot.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I think in theory yes it would help but not sure its worth the bother.

Just keep the chain relativity clean and lubed up. buy a chain wear tool and check it regularly and replace it early.

should help reduce wear and much less faff than swapping chains regularly .
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    Yeah, the point is if you rotate the two chains fairly regularly (every few rides say) they will both wear fairly evenly with the cassette, rather than swapping the chain when it is nearly fully worn and then chucking a new chain on at that point which may not marry with the (partly worn) cassette quite so well.

Makes a lot of sense to me, although not tried it yet.