First Llandegla Ride... Story

PaulC7
PaulC7 Posts: 112
edited June 2012 in MTB beginners
A few weeks ago popped to Delamere for a scout around... it looked good but Llandegla sounded better,
well last week the kids were all staying out so thought shall go for a nice drive to Wales take my bike and
get my first downhill ride under my belt.

Left home later than planned so as the back seats in the MPV all fold down to make a bed i parked in a layby on the A525 and got myself a good nights sleep a little too good really didnt get up till nearly gone 12pm next morning ... anyway after getting breakfast in Morrisons i headed round the corner to the trails.

My first thought was that the blue run (beginners) would be a plain dull ride up and down the forest... well i was so wrong, im lucky to be at home now writing this and not have someone else writing it for me cause of broken bones.

I must just say as it was the beginners run i had no helmet on and was expecting an easy ride... the ride to the top was a good work out then after that it was quite literally all downhill from there...

the first downhill bit is not too quick but where it crosses the foot path there are two banks in an s shape i guess to slow everyone down, well i had nice speed and went round the first ok but the second i was nervous of leaning over too much and found myself hoping over the top of it crossing the path and down the next part which contained some whoops... past the whoops ok i came to a turn which wasnt a turn but a hairpin bend too quick i had my first near big off into the warning sign regarding calling 999 and the info you should give them.

Id been there half an hour and scarred myself twice... i even checked a few times along the way to make sure i hadnt veered off onto the red run.

Then on another section there was a little jump which at the last minute i bottled it as i had a premonition i would by carrying on down the hill on my face.

After that i carried on with a little more caution using my brakes quite a bit only to lose my rear brake on a very quick and bumpy path through the forest well after fixing it best i could (bolt to adjust inside pad was stuck solid) i carried on wishing i had a helmet on and a pair of gloves cause if i came off my hands wouldnt be in the best of condition.

All in all a very exciting ride and one i would of done again if i hadnt been wet with mud so much and it wasnt a bit late in the afternoon... really looking forward to going again, blue run, till i get more confidence then the red run maybe an option.

Comments

• waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    You might feel silly on beginners stuff but always wear your helmet, not worth risking it really.
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    waby1234 wrote:
    You might feel silly on beginners stuff but always wear your helmet, not worth risking it really.

+1

People (well, other MTBrs) are more likely to give you funny looks if you don't wear a helmet than if you do.

Me and my riding mates always point out the plonkers at QE going round the red route without a helmet on and hurl abuse at them ;)

Glad you had fun. Remember you feel most alive when you think you are moments from death!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    +1 about the helmet. Last time I ended up unconscious was on a fire road between sections. One minute I was cruising along thinking about how awesome I'd been riding, the next I was being led to the carpark at the bottom of the hill mumbling incoherencies . Just a momentary loss of concentration, but I was wearing a helmet, or I might still be mumbling, and drooling.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    edited June 2012
    Or mumbling and drooling more than usual, to be precise.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • mintedox
    mintedox Posts: 273
    Another +1 for the helmet. Llandegla begs you to go fast. Go back with a lid and enjoy it :D
    Papa? Nicole
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    ..and some gloves!
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    .............and some balls :wink:
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • cooldad
    Rushmore wrote:
    .............and some balls, I love a nice pair in tight lycra :wink:
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    PaulC7 wrote:
    Left home later than planned so as the back seats in the MPV all fold down to make a bed i parked in a layby on the A525 and got myself a good nights sleep

In your profile you have liverpool as your location but where did you travel from that it needed a overnight stop to get to Llandegla
  • PaulC7
    The begs you to go faster statement is very true hence my near crashes.

Helmet and gloves will be on for next time no doubt, would feel better knowing if i came off i shouldnt be in too bad shape so may give me more balls to go faster.

Im in Fazakerley... i wanted to get there maybe later on in the afternoon but didnt set off till the evening, so when i got there after 11pm i found the location had a scout round the local are went shops and so on before parking in layby round the corner.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I went today (well tonight, actually, I didn't realise they shut the car park at 1800 on a Friday, so had to ride up from the main road). I usually ride the red then the blue (alone), but went with a colleague and we did all the black bits. The dirt jumps at the top were OK, I went with the intention of rolling everything and actually got some air, but mainly rolled them. I'd watched videos of the B-Line and thought I'd be OK - massive operator error on the drop in at the start and I was in a heap on the floor, my colleague missed this and was off and away enjoying himself.

My knee and elbow are going to be a bit on the swollen side tomorrow, I'd imagine. I still managed to ride the rest and enjoyed it, and will remember not to brake as much on steep rocky bits, whilst not having my weight all the way back if I don't want to eat the forest...
  • PaulC7
    Glad to hear your not badly hurt... coming off on the blue route would of hurt so can only imagine how bad the fall may be on more difficult routes.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Cheers, appreciated. A fall is a fall, whatever the grading of the route is, and just teaches you a lesson. There isn't much difference between Red and Blue at Llandegla, in my opinion, other than distance.

Glad you are OK too.
  • Great stories!

I'm new to mtbing so wasn't aware of this place until now so thanks! I will be arranging a visit soon, although I think I'll stick to the blue and red runs!!
  • mintedox wrote:
    Another +1 for the helmet. Llandegla begs you to go fast. Go back with a lid and enjoy it :D

+1 The red route has plenty of places to scare the crap out of you and inflict damage. Helmet is essential (all the time really).
    Like cooldad, my off was at a place you just would not credit, on tarmac road down to car park at Cwmcarn. This was before the trails were built about 12 years ago? At 25mph I got the front wheel hooked in a gully at side of road. Went a over t and landed on left buttock and slid down road on knees, finger tips and forehead. Result, permanent nerve damage to left buttock. No, your tittering. I can here you.
    Seriously, helmet first and gloves next. Should be all you need to enjoy yourself.
  • dry664
    dry664 Posts: 155
    @PaulC7 - How are you getting on with the Carrera Titan?

I remember your thread 'Newbie Bike Building' to replace your Dunlop Doubledisc :-)
    viewtopic.php?t=12816513

I think a contender for thread of the year
  • Majski
    Majski Posts: 443
    It's pretty irresponsible to ride anywhere that's marked 'mountainbike trail' without a helmet. I'm sure it is signposted there saying you should wear a helmet on all trails.

Anyway - the blue at Llandegla is most definately a beginners trail - my mum's ridden it and shes a 55 year old woman who has never ridden a bike further than to the local shop beforehand!

Personally I think the trail grading sucks at llandegla. Nothing on the black should be graded black. There's nothing steep, it's all rollable and there's nothing technical whatsoever. I really don't see why they call it a black run apart from publicity. It's just unfair to all the car park heroes in thier pressure suits who then head to some of the scottish trails thinking they can do black runs and end up injuring themselves.
  • lesz42
    lesz42 Posts: 690
    saying llandegla is easy? maybe at 5 mph, seen a fair few people carted off to A&E

"it's all rollable and there's nothing technical whatsoever"

so you DONT have to do a single thing on the bike? just sit and steer? no shifting weight on the bike, or anything to stay on the bike and upright?

you sure?
    Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    lesz42 wrote:
    saying llandegla is easy?

I dont think the above poster is saying it is easy he is just making a comparison to what is out there especially riding natural some of the trails up north.

As he has said you can take people to Llandegla new to mountain biking or have not been on a bike since they where 10 and they will get round the black without any difficulty. Its easier to ride now than when it was a hidden gem or it first opened because they are trying to attract people new to the sport.
  • Majski
    Yep i'm saying its easy, as in anyone can do it. Obviously harder if you go fast but its not technical at all, shifting weight for a few corners and compressions / jumps is not the same as technical trail riding. Llandegla is definately designed to attract beginners and make them feel like awesome riders, because thats how they make the most money
  • lesz42
    lesz42 Posts: 690
    you are wrong, simple really, your statement "but its not technical at all, shifting weight for a few corners and compressions / jumps is not the same as technical trail riding."

so what is "technical" we follow your logic, there is no "technical" riding, anywhere? so doing drops,berms and jumps is not "technical"

what is? llangollen downhill track is not "technical" it only has berms, drops and a few jumps?
    Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5
  • Majski
    Say whatever you want, llandegla isnt technical at all. You know what i mean you're just being pedantic. I'm sure any decent rider would agree with me on this too.
  • 5pudgun
    5pudgun Posts: 402
    I'm a crap rider in my mid 50s,llandegla black run is a piece of cake
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Majski wrote:
    Say whatever you want, llandegla isnt technical at all.
    I totally agree. I've taken numerous people there for their first taste of mountain biking, and with a little guidance, we've never had any issues.
    It's ideal, as it's a little more complicated than your regular cycle path, but has nothing on it that will be unrideable to a novice.

And it's still fun even for experienced riders - you just attack everything faster. It's just a fun place to go play bikes.