Training to be pro.....

Mr cyclist
Mr cyclist Posts: 42
How much training does it take to be pro, I realise that it takes a lot but how much would a 15 year old need to be training to have any chance of becoming even lower level professional cyclist?

Comments

• Remarkable
    Remarkable Posts: 187
    Some elite cyclists can get away with 8 hours... more or less along with studies etc.

Here is a little perspective:

http://www.irishcycling.com/publish/news/art_1139.shtml
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Training will only get you so far. Unfortunately you also need the right genes. Have you raced much yet? Winning everything?
    More problems but still living....
  • Mr cyclist
    I am training now about 8-9hrs. a week, I don't do many long rides as most races are short (about 30miles). This is my first full season of racing and haven't raced much but have got top 5 in all of them, this is still my first year as an u16. I finish top 3-5 in most club TTs and won a recent club race. Have I left it too late to have a chance of doing well? a lot of the people I race with have been racing for 5+ years.
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    It would be best if you want to improve to ride with people stronger than you. Save riding on your own for the fun of it and to learn skills. Get in to cycle track training sessions because I have seen young whippets at Reading tearing the legs off older riders. Like somebody said you do need natural talent but even some top athletes weren't the quickest at school. They were the ones who kept at it, got good advice and help and then become Olympic Champions.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Shouldn't imagine you have left it too late at 15, either, so don't worry about that. Its not like football.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Hi Mr Cyclist not sure if this is any help but the other week I was out with 2 ex elite riders and I asked them if I knew a lad I used to go to school with who ended up riding in the commonwealth games. They did. They said he was noticed by the results he was getting with the club (like yourself) to the point that his name was always first to to on the entry form for races. He would have been 15-16 when he joined the club - so yeah not too late and the futures yours to shape - but above all enjoy it.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    Remember that you need to choose your discipline carefully. According to legend Chris Hoy was often last home when competing in endurance races, before he found his forte was track sprinting
  • Mr cyclist
    Thanks for all the advice so far, I'm definitely going to stick at it and hopefully I'll start getting some results
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Mr Cyclist our club coaches work on the basis of training to ride the distances you are going to race, no point training for 100 mile all out when the max you are going to race is 30 miles.

When I was your age I used to ride about 12 hours a week and that allowed me time to study for my exams (which I was crap at anyway).

At the end of the day it is the quality of training not the length, get yourself involved with a good coach and he should bring you on.
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    If you follow the pros on Strava they're doing about 20hr/wk, that's on the road. I'm sure they're doing other training too. But you'll work your way up to that over the next decade.

Genetics may dictate what type of cyclist you become, but doesn't mean you need the best genetics to win. If you start training at an early age and stick with it through thick and thin you'll be in good shape.

A winning attitude would be the most important thing to work on in my opinion. When you see Cav destroy the likes of Greipel you see that there are other factors that count other than genetics.
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • Sharpy_lad
    Sharpy_lad Posts: 61
    My advice coming from a background of international athletics is if you are reasonably good and are amongst a lot of young guys that are also decent bikers don't be afraid to speak to the "in" people and get your face known. It's often not what you know, but who you know that can give you a break and an opportunity.
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    I'll tell you another thing .. a tonne of the guys at your age will, in the next few years, totally mess their training up because they're fond of a beer or 10 with friends at the weekend, or get some girl up the duff, or decide to focus on their career, so as you get older you might find you actually have less competition!

If you really, really want to go pro just stay on the path to your goal. I'd say there are a lot of pros in every sport who weren't actually particularly gifted, they simply were dedicated, organised and single minded.
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread