Post your fave recipies here.

Frank the tank
Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
edited June 2012 in The cake stop
Got the idea reading the life expectancy thread.

I won't start the ball rolling as if it doesn't fit in a toaster I can't cook it. :lol:

Perhaps Chef Chasey would oblige? :D
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

Comments

• buddha
    buddha Posts: 1,088
    Fish & Chips

Ingredients:
    1 crisp £5 note - if outside London.

Recipe:
    Walk or cycle to a Fish & Chip retailer, ask for "fish and chips". You can substitute "fish" with something like "cod" or "pollock" - if they have any (edit: will I get banned for saying that?)
    Hand over crisp £5 note and hope for change.

Serve with mushy peas or curry sauce if you're a northener :wink:
    <center><font size="1"><font color="navy">Lardy</font id="navy"><font color="blue"> | </font id="blue"><font color="navy">Madame de Pompadour</font id="navy"></font id="size1"></center>
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    mmm mushy peas :D
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    buddha wrote:
    Fish & Chips

Ingredients:
    1 crisp £5 note - if outside London.

Recipe:
    Walk or cycle to a Fish & Chip retailer, ask for "fish and chips". You can substitute "fish" with something like "cod" or "pollock" - if they have any (edit: will I get banned for saying that?)
    Gobble down a cheeky saveloy while the rest is being wrapped (or on the way home).
    Hand over crisp £5 note and hope for change.

Serve with mushy peas or curry sauce if you're a northener :wink:

FTFY.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,521
    i found this one in peloton magazine, quantities below are modified by me as the original was feeds 6-8, the quantities below are two generous servings

Les Carbonades Flamandes (Flemish Beef Stew Cooked in Beer)

• 800g stewing steak, cubed, not too small
    • bit of salt
    • bit of fresh ground black pepper
    • some plain flour
    • 75g unsalted butter
    • 2 onions
    • big bottle of Belgian beer, i use a 750cc bottle of leffe brune, it works well in the recipe
    • 2 sprigs fresh thyme
    • 2 bay leaves
    • 1½ tablespoons redcurrant jelly
    • 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar

1. Season the beef cubes with salt and pepper and dredge with the flour. Shake off any excess.

2. Melt 50g tablespoons of the butter in a large heavy pan over high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the beef cubes and sauté until nicely browned on all sides. Work in batches so as not to crowd the beef cubes, or they will steam instead of sauté. Transfer the beef cubes to a large saucepan.

3. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter to the skillet and melt over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 15 minutes. If necessary, raise the heat toward the end of the cooking time. It is important to brown the meat and onions evenly to give the stew its deep brown color. The trick is to stir the onions just enough to avoid burning them but not so often as to interrupt the browning process. Combine the onions with the meat in the saucepan.

4. Deglaze the pan with the beer, scraping with a wooden spoon to loosen any brown bits, and bring to a boil. Pour the beer over the meat. Add the thyme and bay leaves.

5. Simmer, covered, over low heat until the meat is very tender, 1½ to 2 hours. Before serving, stir in the red currant jelly and vinegar; simmer for 5 minutes. Remove the thyme sprigs and bay leaves. Taste and adjust the seasoning and serve.

i serve it with rice, crusty bread and a watercress salad, yum
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    A new favourite:

1 bone-out pork shoulder
    1 glass cider
    1 tablespoon (or so) favourite spice mix (eg cajun, jerk, something homemade) mixed with couple of tablespoons brown sugar, salt and pepper

Rub pork all over with spice mix. Leave to absorb for as long as you feel like. Put in roasting tray or large casserole, cover with foil and seal as well as you can. Stick in low oven (110-120ish degrees). Go out for nice long ride. On return (between about 6-8 hours later), remove pork from oven, place carefully on large serving dish and shred with a couple of forks - skin, fat, the lot! Serve with fresh bread rolls, salad, and plenty of barbecue/tomato/chilli sauce.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    800g of stewing steak is two servings?! :shock: I make a pot of chilli with about 800g of stewing steak that I freeze into 6 portions. I modify this http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/516773 by using pinto beans instead of kidney, a small piece of dark chocolate instead of sugar and adding some smoked paprika. Chilli is always best made with stewing steak imo.
  • timmyturbo
    timmyturbo Posts: 617
    Fillet of Lamb wrapped in 3 layer filo pastry with a small dollop of MINT pesto ( not basil ) parceled up 200 degrees and 20 mins , serve with new pots , baby corn , and mange toute . home made chocolate truffles with a proper irish coffee to follow . mmmmm
    Britannia waives the rules
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Paneer. (Indian fresh cheese) Good source of protein.

Boil a litre of milk, when a rolling boil is achieved remove from heat, add three tablespoons of lemon juice, return to heat and the milk will separate into curds and whey. Strain through a clean tea towel. Save the whey (yellow coloured water) use as a basis for your stock making or use to cook your rice in. Fold the tea towel up with the curds inside to form a rectangle and place on draining board with a saucepan of water (weight) on top, leave for at least 1.5 hours. Unwrap the tea towel cut paneer into chunks and use as is, or fry gently until golden brown to make it chewier and use in your fave curry.

Or if too busy just pour milk into glass and drink whist watching TV :wink:
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Toast Under Beans

a novel twist to a classic

Get some toast and place it under some beans. serve immediately with relish
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,521
    800g of stewing steak is two servings?!
    <...>

as gf is away, and with the winter weather, i tried it to be sure, and it does indeed make two generous servings

it's the holy quaternity...
    bowl of stew
    bowl of rice
    bowl of salad
    crusty bread
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Pilaf rice with Vermicelli, Chickpeas, Apricots and Pistachios

2 shallots (or small onions), sliced
    20 g clarified butter
    80 g broken vermicelli (Greek and Turkish supermarkets sell a very short length vermicelli pasta that is ideal)
    100 g cooked chickpeas
    80 g dried apricots, chopped
    300 g rice, preferably a short-grain rice
    400 ml vegetable stock
    80 g pistachios, roughly chopped

Serves 4

This is street food, Turkish style. This dish can be found in the markets of Istanbul, sold as a hot lunch, often topped with freshly boiled chicken breast.

In a saucepan, sauté the shallots in the butter for 2 minutes on a medium heat.

Add the vermicelli and, continually stirring, cook until golden, keeping an eye on it because this happens pretty quickly.

Add the chickpeas, apricots and the rice, making sure the rice is well coated with the butter.

Pour in the stock and bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer, season and cover with a lid. Cook on a very low heat for 15–20 minutes, without stirring, so the rice gently steams without burning as the stock is absorbed.

When the rice is done, stir in the pistachios and turn off the heat and replace the lid. Allow to rest for 15–20 minutes – this will allow the rice to gently cook further while becoming fluffy.
  • Dice an onion and chop half a chorizo ring (100g?) and cook in a saucepan with olive oil and chilli flakes for 5 mins.
    Add tin of chopped tomatoes and let simmer while you boil a kettle and cook some fusilli for 10 mins.
    Add the drained pasta to the chorizo/tomato and stir to coat the pasta.
    Serves 2 with a little parmesan to taste.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,569
    Super basic, but my favourite.

Sausage pasta :). Everyone has their own method - this is mine.

Ingredients - sausages
    garlic
    chili
    rosemary
    tin of tomatoes
    red wine (optional)
    parsley (optional)
    Pasta (Penne works, larger tubes work better for bigger chunks of tomato/sausage - depending on how much you break it up in the pan, spaghetti if all else fails)

skin the sausages, (take your pick, they're all good with the exception of beef sausages or weird ones with apple), and break them up into a medium heat pan with a bit of olive oil.

Once they're on their way, throw in a clove or two of chopped garlic with a chili - amount of chili to taste.

Fry them for a bit. Once the sausages look done and the garlic isn't raw, throw in the tomatoes, wine (maybe a glass full? Depending on how meaty you want it. The more vino, the meatier the pasta), and rosemary. Chop it up if you can be bothered - and break up the bits of tomato.

The gf likes it best when I cook the hell out of it quickly, so I turn it on full whack, lid open, and try to avoid getting sprayage on my shirt.

Similarly, you'll have put the pasta in to the water by the time you originally put the sausages on.

The parsley's for sprinking on at the end, if you fancy it. Some people don't like the rosemary parsley combo. You can do it sans rosemary and throw a fair bit of parsley on at the end, especially if you've put a lot of garlic in it.
  • Variation of the sausage pasta -
    Cook the sausage meet with chopped leek chestnut mushrooms and a glass of white wine. Stir in some single cream at the last minute. Best with tagliatelle.
  • bearfraser
    bearfraser Posts: 435
    wrap some bananas in ham cover with a nice "Cheesy "cheese sauce sprinkle some grated cheese over the top and chuck it in the oven for 30-40 miins at 180c and serve with rice
  • team47b
    bearfraser wrote:
    wrap some bananas in ham cover with a nice "Cheesy "cheese sauce sprinkle some grated cheese over the top and chuck it in the oven for 30-40 miins at 180c and serve with rice

...you forgot the smilie face!

wrap some leeks in ham cover with a nice "Cheesy "cheese sauce sprinkle some grated cheese over the top and chuck it in the oven for 30-40 miins at 180c and serve with rice

FTFY
  • hmm
    hmm Posts: 39
    Roast chicken, slightly undercooked.
    Serve with whatever you like, it won't stay in so doesn't really matter.
    Five days later, one stone lighter.
    Campylobacter, oh the mirth...
    Triban 3 - very red
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/780620

“Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right.”
    Henry Ford
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Today I'm doing fried chicken.
    Take one packet of cut-price, yellow-label quality chicken from your corner CO-OP pref thighs but breasts will do.
    Slice in half.
    Dust in flour (with a bit of salt and pepper).
    Dip in beaten egg
    Dip in breadcrumbs.
    Fry in frying pan with a lot of hot vegetable oil, bubbling away for about 6-8 mins, turning occasionally.

Dont mix uncooked and cooked chicken/utensils/plates/hands (see above)
    £1.50, Kentucky fried chicken for 2.
  • Pep
    Pep Posts: 501
    Best meal I can think of right now is:

Pizza margherita (pizza dough, mozzarella di bufala, tomatoes, basilico).
    Grilled veggie (peppers, zucchine, eggplant, onion).
    Salad (tomatoes, lettuce, lentils, carrot, chilly, cucumber).
    Gelato (vanilla, with liquor).

but there are many others.
  • DavMartinR
    DavMartinR Posts: 897
    A weekend breakfast recipe,

Slices of Chorizo and a slice of Black pudding fried together.
    Poach an egg and serve on a slice of toast or a muffin.
  • team47b
    Pep wrote:
    Best meal I can think of right now is:

Pizza margherita (pizza dough, mozzarella di bufala, tomatoes, basilico).
    Grilled veggie (peppers, zucchine, eggplant, onion).
    Salad (tomatoes, lettuce, lentils, carrot, chilly, cucumber).
    Gelato (vanilla, with liquor).

but there are many others.

Niiiiiice :D