Old cracked Brooks B15

CrackFox
CrackFox Posts: 287
edited June 2012 in Workshop
My 'new' 1977 Gazelle Champion Mondial came with a badly dried and cracked Brooks B15. The surface has a rather scaly texture, and there are a couple of cracks on the sides. It's looks like a slice of hippo's arse, to be honest. My initial thought was that it was beyond saving, but I'd like to revive it if at all possible.

Does anyone have any experience restoring these things? Would I be wasting my time and money trying to repair it with proofride?

Comments

• topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    How about contacting Brooks for advice, maybe they do a refurb service ?
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Woolies make useful leather cleaning kits - dyes and fixers which, combined with an extensive dose of hide food, should do wonders for your saddle. I recall reducing scaley texture in leather just by fine sanding the surface down a bit. That and the hide food resulted in something that looked pretty good but not like new. Which was fine. I'd have a go with the hide food and if it softens up nicely, go the rest of the way.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Get Neatsfoot oil from anywhere horsey, it's not that dear. Paint on loads of coats and let it soak in. Just cover the thing in the stuff, it's soak it up. Wonderful for car seats and steering wheels too.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • CrackFox
    Cheers for the tips. I've heard mixed reviews about neatsfoot oil used on Brooks saddles, but it may be worth trying given the state of the thing. Will check the auto shops for hide food too.
  • CrackFox
    Sanded the surface down with fine grade paper, applied a bit of dubbin and a light amount of natural neatsfoot oil and the saddle looks much better. It's never going to look like new and it's a tone or two darker than it was, but it's certainly usable now - in fact I'm going to fit on my old Raleigh when that's finished. Very pleased with the results - thanks once again.