trouble with flooding...

team47b
team47b Posts: 6,425
edited June 2012 in The cake stop
Thought you lot would know about this...on the assumption that you are in the UK! and it's about a bike, sort of.

Bing carburettor (gravity feed) is flooding, float needle looks ok so does seat, float doesn't appear to have any holes, but does not float at all well, petrol sits at the very top of the float, seems a bit high. When running the engine petrol floods out the overflow pipe and then I discovered that fuel has left the carb via the air intake hose and filled the air filter with petrol! Ordered a new float and needle.

Anything else that could be causing the flooding?
my isetta is a 300cc bike

Comments

• jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    What?
  • team47b
    Explanation:
    spot of engine maintenance to break the monotony of posts about bikes (!), and takin' the pith about 'flooding' as I have heard that you are now the experts on the subject.

Humour and practical mechanics.

Anyway, anyone know about carburettors or should I go back to posting about my veg garden?
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Well, you're no longer allowed to post about lady gardens in cake stop so, I guess veg gardens it is!
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Have you looked at the fuel inlet valve ? If you've cot cr*p in it, they the float might not be closing it fully. This could result in the float not rising to it's full height the valve staying slightly open and the carb flooding. Worth a look ?
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • team47b
    Thanks Matt.

Float doesn't appear to leak but petrol reaches the top level of the float, which I don't think is right, doesn't appear to have any real means of lowering it to shut off needle earlier. Needle seat is clean so is needle, could be just really worn, hard to tell without comparing to a new one. This one could be up to 55 years old. I am trying to order a new needle and float, just wanted to see if I was missing anything else.

I'll go back to growing courgettes while I wait.