Garmin Car Satnav

greasedscotsman
greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
edited June 2012 in The cake stop
Need to sort out a new Satnav before I go on holiday to France, thinking of a Garmin, anyone got one? Any good? And are the european maps detailed enough?

Comments

• timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Got a very basic model Nuvi and no complaints. Have used it in UK and Ireland only though. Bought it cos they support cycling and its no worse than a TomTom.

Well actually one complaint, it is insanely optimistic in terms of arrival time if travelling through traffic.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    I bought a Garmin nuvi 760t about 4 years ago with european mapping for our road trip and it was awesome, never let us down, we even used it to find hotels etc. Make sure you get one with TTS (text to speech) so it actually tells you the name of the roads etc. I don't think you can get this model now but obviously there will be better newer ones out there :)
  • pscyclist
    pscyclist Posts: 18
    I had a Garmin sat nav with European mapping for five years and have just upgraded it. I've used it in most western European countries and have found it excellent. Part of the reason for upgrading was that the maps were getting out of date and the marginal cost of buying a new unit, which has free lifetime map upgrades, rather than a map update was worth it. The unit I bought a few months ago is nuvi 2340.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    OK, thanks for the replies. Looks like a Garmin then! :D
  • lucan
    lucan Posts: 339
    I bought a Garmin Nuvi 1490 with free 'lifetime' updates. I've used it for a month in France and it's spot on. Just as detailed as the English mapping, including photo images of motorway junctions on the approach.

Highly recommended.
    Summer: Kuota Kebel
    Winter: GT Series3
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    OK, thanks for the replies. Looks like a Garmin then! :D

Have a look in Maplins if there's one local to you. I bought mine as an ex-display model for £50, should of been £150. I've been in Maplins a few times since and they had similar deals. Mine had the box, accessories and full warranty. Bargain.

Mine is a NuVi with Uk maps and it's proved to be great so far, the only negative is the battery life when it's in use but that's what in car chargers are for.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    edited June 2012
    My Garmin Etrex Vista Cx works as a great car satnav, providing (appropriate) turn-by-turn alarms.
    Dashboard bracket was cheap as chips. European mapping provided by Metroguide Europe.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    edited June 2012
    I used a Garmin 700 with the Europe Maps in France a couple of years ago.
    Not cheap I will admit but it worked flawlessly.
    EIther plan routes and follow, or just select your next stop town/address on the fly and follow.

Edit:- I have just realised that you mean for use in the car :oops:
    The 700 can be used if your co-driver uses it as the screen is too small for the driver to follow. I can't comment on other units.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Item in Telegraph today re Satnavs being illegal in France if they warn of speed cameras-from Nov 2012-e1500 fine and 6 points that can be transferred to UK license.No one knows at present on effect of current devices and whether Garmin will download a patch to remove warnings from current devices.Bit of a downer for Euro legislation here.Might be worth checking before purchases.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    TomTom. I've had one for some years now, it's been faultless all over Europe. Nuff said :D
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    nevman wrote:
    Item in Telegraph today re Satnavs being illegal in France if they warn of speed cameras-from Nov 2012-e1500 fine and 6 points that can be transferred to UK license.No one knows at present on effect of current devices and whether Garmin will download a patch to remove warnings from current devices.Bit of a downer for Euro legislation here.Might be worth checking before purchases.
    That's a є15 fine, surely. Well, that's what I've heard.
  • lemon63
    lemon63 Posts: 253
    This is the info from Garmin's website:

"French Safety Cameras: New Legislation for 2012

Travelling in France? IMPORTANT: Please be aware of a change in French law effective from 3 January 2012 regarding the use of speed and safety camera locations.

Questions and Answers
    Q1: On the web I read that there’s a new law regarding the use of safety camera warnings in France. What’s it all about?

A1: On 3 January 2012 the French government issued a new law that effectively bans all systems that are able to provide warnings of safety cameras (aka speed cameras). This law includes all sat nav based systems. With immediate effect it has become illegal for anyone travelling in France to have any speed camera warnings on any device across the entire territory of France.

Q2: I have heard that Garmin GPS devices will no longer warn drivers about safety cameras when travelling in France. Is this correct?

A2: New Garmin sat nav systems sold in France will no longer detect the location of safety cameras but rather warn the driver of danger zones. This is in agreement with the new French law released on 3 January 2012 so that all Garmin devices sold to French customers are 100% legal.

UK customers who are travelling in France should disable their French safety camera database before arriving on French territory. Instructions are provided here.

If you perform a master re-set on your device you will need to follow the above-mentioned steps again.

Q3: I have heard that it is now illegal to use safety camera warnings when travelling in France. Will I get fined if I travel there using my device?

A3: Anyone driving in France who is stopped by the police and caught using a device with safety camera warnings could face a fine of €1500, irrespective of their country of origin. The advice for all non-French customers is to disable safety camera warnings before driving within France. See Answer 2.

Q4: Will this change affect my safety camera warnings in the UK?

A4: Unless you have previously disabled Garmin Safety Cameras from your device settings, your device will continue to function as normal when travelling in the UK or any other European country. The change will only affect France."
  • lucan
    lucan Posts: 339
    You can disable the camera warnings on my Garmin.

Full instructions are on the Garmin website.
    Summer: Kuota Kebel
    Winter: GT Series3