Threads are still being deleted

without explanation. And some mods are threatening banning seemingly on a whim. Two questions why can't you have a system of letting people know why the posts are deleted, and if the reasons are based on a whim such as a mod being 'bored' with responses why can we not replace the moderator and secondly if the mods themselves are blatantly breaking future publishings own 'rules' to whom do we complain.
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what a dead and buried 6 year old post?

that one?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    well if theres a specific rule about which posts we can reply to please let me know where it is. Could you also take time to answer the question - if a mod is breaking the rules of future publishing, not the arbitrary rules of the forum, to whom do we complain. You seem to have avoided that question.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Press the report button on the post.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    but that means mods are dealing with issues involving mods. I'm asking to whom do we report the behaviour of a mod to a more superior figure than a mod. I say it again, its not about the arbitrary forum rules - its about the rules of future publishing. So agin, is there a contact, an email, to whom a complaint can be made about mods who transgress the rules as set down by future publishing.

Is there a contact or way of making a complaint?
  • supersonic
    Press the report button, and fill the form in! Every member of the team gets to see it, including those who run this site. So your report goes to about 30 people including all the relevant people. This is what it is there for.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    I've actually found that when I report spam threads for example. I often get the notification email that the report has been "deleted" In which case any other staff member who comes along can only see the action logged,but not the reason given. The exact opposite of "close report" which leaves the reason perfectly visible.
  • supersonic
    It will depend on the nature of the report - with spam, the reasons why the action has been taken (ie deleted thread) is usually obvious.

In this case it is very likely, and quickly, that the report will get moved to the Office staff room for discussion amongst the site admin. Emailing say Rob Spedding or Jeff Jones (details can be found in the Team section) will likely take a lot longer for action to be taken, if any at all.

At least with the report all the top people will get to see it, the thread involved, and hopefully will be dealt with fast. I think this is by far the best way in this instance.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    supersonic wrote:
    At least with the report all the top people will get to see it, the thread involved, and hopefully will be dealt with fast. I think this is by far the best way in this instance.

Unless it's deleted in which case there is only a log that a post was reported,not why.
  • supersonic
    It shouldn't get deleted. I can't see why anyone would in a case of a complaint like this.

You can try emailing the above people, or PMing them - or even posting the complaint in the Office section if people are worried that it will get deleted, but please do try the report first.

A quick look in the office section shows nearly 100 posts in the last week discussing reports, from multiple people: usually is very effective!
  • Cleat Eastwood
    So its a boys club then - watching each others' backs - charming.

Seems odd that when the interests of future publishing are at stake - eg the risk of being sued by ebay because of forum members breaking ebay rules - the rules are enforced almost immediately - yet in other regards, when mods break the rules...its a case of - well thats ok just press an button and we'll forget its happened.

Another question- what would it take for a mod to be removed/banned? How many complaints and to whom before a mod is removed?

Looks like i'll have to contact future publishing myself then to find out who to complain to.

And just noticed in the sales bit - threads are locked and contents deleted with an explanation as to why - why not do the same for other deleted threads.
  • supersonic
    I've given you two names, and various ways to make your complaints.

The mods or admin do not have to give any reasons to why threads are locked or deleted. In fact many in the classifieds get deleted with no warning.
    when mods break the rules...its a case of - well thats ok just press an button and we'll forget its happened.

That does NOT happen when things get reported, and you can possibly have no evidence to suggest that this happens. The Office Staff room is discussing matters all the time.
    Another question- what would it take for a mod to be removed/banned? How many complaints and to whom before a mod is removed?

As above, it will be discussed. It will depend on the complaint.

Instead of speculating, why not make your complaint? I'll promise you it will be given the time and respect it deserves.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    supersonic wrote:
    100 posts in the last week discussing reports, from multiple people

Shoot!

Is that a 100 different reported posts?

Suppose it was worse before DDD calmed down ;)

Is there a league table for complained about posters?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    supersonic wrote:
    Press the report button on the post.

Bearing in mind the thread title, where is the report button on a deleted post?
  • supersonic
    In the top right of each post are icons, it is the ! in the triangle.
  • shouldbeinbed
    supersonic wrote:
    In the top right of each post are icons, it is the ! in the triangle.

Yes I know that, I've used it before. You haven't read or are being deliberately obtuse. If the post/thread is deleted how can anyone subsequently press the ! button?
  • supersonic
    Sorry, I misread your post.

You cannot report a deleted post via that method. What reasons would you want to report one for: possibly a complaint to why it was deleted?
  • shouldbeinbed
    supersonic wrote:
    Sorry, I misread your post.

You cannot report a deleted post via that method. What reasons would you want to report one for: possibly a complaint to why it was deleted?
    ]

:) yes that's the jist of it, it's harder to discuss or seek an independent view of a post or (over?)reaction of people/modding to it once its gone.
  • supersonic
    Best thing to do would be to PM me if you think you have been unfairly treated: I will then look through the mod log and discuss with the mod/admin in the Staff area.
  • shouldbeinbed
    supersonic wrote:
    Best thing to do would be to PM me if you think you have been unfairly treated: I will then look through the mod log and discuss with the mod/admin in the Staff area.

cheers, nothing specific at this time, just feel theres not a lot of clarity right now with overreactions to thing on both sides of the mod wall.
  • tailwindhome
    So we're done deleted threads and moved onto banning

Shame

When posters on three different forum areas complain about the moderator it's not a coincidence.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    do they?

or have they got the wrong end of the stick and just want to be special.

Troll on here and it get dealed with Troll elsewhere and it gets dealed with I dont see anyone complaining to Mumsnet.

some of you guys really need to grow up.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • tailwindhome
    nicklouse wrote:
    do they?

Do they what?

Complain about Rick Chasey as a moderator?

Obviously you guys see the full picture in terms of complaints and reported posts but I've been on here for the best part of 4 years now and aside from Always Tyred going bonkers and accusing Supersonic of being Brian Clough reincarnated I don't remember this sort of reaction from a variety of members

It isn't going well is it? Seems to me like you made a bad choice of moderator or he needs to settle himself.

That said anyone who crosses the line into personal attacks and abuse deserves the banstick.

*bad feeling I may be going soon!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,241
    I imagine it is at least partly because I'm new, so people think they can say things about my moderating that they wouldn't about others.

Case in point is the cake stop whining. They were whining about stuff I hadn't done, and when they realised I hadn't, surprise surprise, they stopped.

Thing is, barely any moderating happens. I guess that's why the odd thing gets picked up on - since it's so rare when it does. I can count on one hand the amount of times I've had to do anything mod-like in commuter chat. I can probably count on two stuff on road I've done - excluding spam.
  • tailwindhome
    I imagine it is at least partly because I'm new, so people think they can say things about my moderating that they wouldn't about others.

Maybe

It's not an easy role but I think you make it harder for yourself by remaining in the more controversial topics as a poster as well as a moderator. Yeah you've still got your opinions, but it's like being promoted to a more senior role at work, you pay for by not sitting with the same mates at lunch time and have to conduct yourselve differently.

The thread on Pro Race was a good example - a what point did you stop being a poster and stick on the mod hat when Bernie got 'boring'. This needs (IMHO) to be clearer.

I did report this post and raise my concern at the time. Maybe I has a technical failure and the mod team didn't get the report - but I've had no feedback or a 'close report'
  • shouldbeinbed

Case in point is the cake stop whining. They were whining about stuff I hadn't done, and when they realised I hadn't, surprise surprise, they stopped.

Thing is, barely any moderating happens. I guess that's why the odd thing gets picked up on - since it's so rare when it does. I can count on one hand the amount of times I've had to do anything mod-like in commuter chat. I can probably count on two stuff on road I've done - excluding spam.

It's maybe a coincidence but the modding has only become noticeable now you're onboard. Therefore worthy of asking the questions.
    I've tried to do it properly, ask sensible questions in the right area and make what I believe are constructive suggestions, mentoring, quarantine to the mod board rather than immediate action, a one line explanation saves a whole thread of why. But to be totally honest you all seem to be keener to close ranks and stonewall than enter into a productive discussion & clearing the air. Its disappointing, especially as many of us haven't joined in the mumsnet trolling, whinges outside of here or digging up loads of long dead threads.

I'm happy to state how I see the mods so its not all about you Rick.

Supersonic : even handed generally & more prepared to discuss / explain than the rest of you.

Nicklouse : comes across generally as hardline, bordering on aggressive on occasion.

Rick : as stated already, chill out & get a bit of mentoring. A more clear line in your head between Mod Rick and Contributor Rick would help you & give everyone else more faith in your modding & consistency.

The rest : anonymous & invisible in the road & commuting areas I tend to frequent. The odd edict handed down from on high.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    nicklouse wrote:
    do they?

or have they got the wrong end of the stick and just want to be special.

Troll on here and it get dealed with Troll elsewhere and it gets dealed with I dont see anyone complaining to Mumsnet.

some of you guys really need to grow up.
    Sometimes advice given,is best heeded yourself.