Cost of transporting bikes overseas

bs147
bs147 Posts: 164
Hi,

Just interested to hear what sort of amount people would be prepared to pay to have their bike (s) transported down to the Alps/Pyrenees/Dolomites, etc in a van rather than struggle through airports/train stations, etc.

Any feedback as to whether or not this appeals at any price would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Comments

• Its a nice idea as I always get nervous flying with a bike

Not having given it much thought I suppose Id happily pay whatever the airline charge me plus a bit extra
    Not sure what the 'bit' would be though

Also would have to be convenient
    You would need to collect or offer a convenient central drop point at each end of the journey
    If youre a 1 man/woman outfit this is presumably where you would struggle

I cant see it working for me personally but good luck!
  • Peak Times
    Peak Times Posts: 81
    bs147 wrote:
    Hi,

Just interested to hear what sort of amount people would be prepared to pay to have their bike (s) transported down to the Alps/Pyrenees/Dolomites, etc in a van rather than struggle through airports/train stations, etc.

Any feedback as to whether or not this appeals at any price would be appreciated!

Thanks.

There is a coach based company called European Bike Express who run a service from the UK down to the Pyrenees and other destinations. I have not tried it but I believe they use coaches with a large trailer for the bikes and are not too expensive.
    www.peak-times.com

Independent or supported cycling holidays in the French Pyrenees
  • I think the key factor is how long you'll be without your bike for.

For this year's etape, I was going to send my bike through Sports Tours International- it was £90, which seemed about right. However, the latest drop off for the bike was about 10 days before the event- which is crazy, considering:

1) you want to be training right up to the event (or as close as possible)
    2) it takes a maximum of 2 days to drive to Albertville from England

I cancelled, and am taking the bike on the flight instead- £40 surcharge each way.

I think La Fuga do a ground transport for the etapes which has more sensible drop off and pick up dates- although it's more expensive.