the jubilee cost over 4 BILLION !!!!! ?????

timmyturbo
timmyturbo Posts: 617
edited July 2012 in The cake stop
if our average wage is £415 a week or thereabouts and we were given 2 days off thats £415 divided by 5 and multiplied by 2 and multiplied by 28 million actual workers equals £4.64 billion as just the cost of 2 days off , i am not a royalist or an opponent of monarchy , but when our post election austerity measures came in to 9 billion , i think its a piss take to spend half that money watching an old bird on a boat in the pissing rain , dont you ???

pinch of salt on the figures , but not much, 10% out at worst . cheers :mrgreen:
Britannia waives the rules

Comments

• jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Isn't that how much got saved by not paying people to sit posting garbage on Internet forums for two days?
  • timmyturbo
    jim453 wrote:
    Isn't that how much got saved by not paying people to sit posting garbage on Internet forums for two days?

dont get your knickers in a twist love , its a point that our entire so called news/media neglected to notice whilst they were to busy getting up skirt shots of Fearne Cotton
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    timmyturbo wrote:
    i think its a wee-wee take to spend half that money watching an old bird on a boat in the pissing rain , dont you ???

pinch of salt on the figures , but not much, 10% out at worst . cheers :mrgreen:

The flotilla was on a saturday.

Brilliant certainty on your figures there too. Actuaries spend years perfecting algorithms to work out such stuff, but you got it bang on the back of a fag packet in ten minutes? Amazing.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • millymoose
    millymoose Posts: 117
    That's right - for 2 days 28 million people did absolutely nothing, no one in the whole country did any work or spent any money.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    timmyturbo wrote:
    if our average wage is £415 a week or thereabouts and we were given 2 days off thats £415 divided by 5 and multiplied by 2 and multiplied by 28 million actual workers equals £4.64 billion as just the cost of 2 days off , i am not a royalist or an opponent of monarchy , but when our post election austerity measures came in to 9 billion , i think its a wee-wee take to spend half that money watching an old bird on a boat in the pissing rain , dont you ???

If we get 1/2cm if snow this winter the whole country will shut down again... and lose twice as much... who cares?
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    timmyturbo wrote:
    if our average wage is £415 a week or thereabouts and we were given 2 days off thats £415 divided by 5 and multiplied by 2 and multiplied by 28 million actual workers equals £4.64 billion as just the cost of 2 days off , i am not a royalist or an opponent of monarchy , but when our post election austerity measures came in to 9 billion , i think its a wee-wee take to spend half that money watching an old bird on a boat in the pissing rain , dont you ???

If we get 1/2cm if snow this winter the whole country will shut down again... and lose twice as much... who cares?

1/2 a cm of snow. Come on then Timmy, how many pinches of salt will we need this winter?
  • CYCLESPORT1
    CYCLESPORT1 Posts: 471
    We did, we went to Wales for a few das and SPENT money :!:
    millymoose wrote:
    That's right - for 2 days 28 million people did absolutely nothing, no one in the whole country did any work or spent any money.
  • timmyturbo
    well IKEA , sainsburys ( and other supermarkets ) B+Q and other places that sell shelves are open till at least 8pm on school nights , so if we were at work we still would of been spending , no ?
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    One of those days was a bank holiday we get every year regardless, it was just pushed back a week.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    This thread should probably have a facepalm but I can't be bothered :lol:

However, Timmy - if you honestly and truthfully believe that cobblers you posted at the start of the thread, why don't you petition the Govt to stop all public holidays during the recession.

In your daft calculations, each day off costs 2.3 billion or so. As there are normally 6 bank holidays in England and Wales (lets ignore the lazy feckless Scots with their 7 bank holidays and just assume they do a proper years work like the rest of us) if we scrap them all that gives you about 14 billion in savings. I think you could wangle a Knighthood out of that.......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • timmyturbo
    One of those days was a bank holiday we get every year regardless, it was just pushed back a week.

i did not realise that , 2.3 billion is still disgustingly expensive , even for a monarch when the entire country is feeling the pinch , and the middle classes as much as the grafters from what i have witnessed .
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    timmyturbo wrote:
    jim453 wrote:

dont get your knickers in a twist love , its a point that our entire so called news/media neglected to notice whilst they were to busy getting up skirt shots of Fearne Cotton

Pics or it didnt happen ha ha ha?
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    At least it was £4 billion "wasted" making folk happy as opposed to miserable.

I'm no royalist but it was a pleasent diversion from all the sh1t going off. Of course a lot of money was spent and business done off the back of the jubilee which will off-set that huge figure.

THE QUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN GAAAAAAAAAAWD BLEEEEEEEEEEESS HAAAAAA!. :D
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • timmyturbo
    business being cans of coke for £2 , and six strawberries with a dollop of cream for £5 or some chateau de carboard for £6? so just 450 million items to sell in the rain with a 300% mark up LOL
  • Frank the tank
    timmyturbo wrote:
    business being cans of coke for £2 , and six strawberries with a dollop of cream for £5 or some chateau de carboard for £6? so just 450 million items to sell in the rain with a 300% mark up LOL

I'm sure there was more merchandising etc manufactured than those you've highlighted.
    Tail end Charlie

• Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Christmas Day and Boxing Day must also cost us £4billion a year then hey Timmy. Maybe you need to petition the government to cancel Christmas too.............and while you're at it why dont you ask them to cancel weekends too??

Stupid pointless "statistics"!
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Remember though, Timmy could no doubt have got a Jubilee £2 cheaper from somewhere else on the 'net.
  • timmyturbo
    well on a point of me computer general , if we brought in the German ethic of an office based working week of 30 hours , this would create around 3 million jobs over night if it were adopted in the UK , or would our workload just increase accordingly ? either way i would prefer flexitime at a 4 days working week , wouldn't you ?

And listen muppets (you know who your POO POOing selves are ) the figures are not far off as i am sad enough to be a member of the facebook office of national statistics page . we have a workforce of able bodies ( not on the sick ) of 33.5 million ( correct as of dec 2011 ) of which only 28 million work , but if you have not paid enough national insurance credits , if your on the dole , you are not classed as unemployed , go figure ( well they do , don't they ? ).

cheers X
  • Frank the tank
    Christmas Day and Boxing Day must also cost us £4billion a year then hey Timmy. Maybe you need to petition the government to cancel Christmas too.............and while you're at it why dont you ask them to cancel weekends too??

Stupid pointless "statistics"!

Perhaps TT could write a letter to that nice mr Cameron with a view to cancelling all bank holidays for everyone for the next five years and we'll have soon closed the deficit. :roll:
    Tail end Charlie

• merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    But not all those people you have counted will have been paid for the break if self employed etc, others will have worked it and not benefited from the break. Many of the remainder who have taken the time off will have had to still achieved the same amount of work to meet deadlines etc by working longer hours and harder in the surrounding days. Not very clear cut really.
  • rolf_f
    timmyturbo wrote:
    And listen muppets (you know who your POO POOing selves are ) the figures are not far off as i am sad enough to be a member of the facebook office of national statistics page .

That doesn't mean that you understand how to interpret statistics - and clearly you don't. To be fair, you are no worse than MPs and journalists in this respect who continually misunderstand and misinterpret stats. Even relatively simple data tends to be woefully misunderstood but this one is quite complicated - your calculation is simplistic beyond belief.
  • timmyturbo
    Rolf F wrote:
    timmyturbo wrote:
    And listen muppets (you know who your POO POOing selves are ) the figures are not far off as i am sad enough to be a member of the facebook office of national statistics page .

That doesn't mean that you understand how to interpret statistics - and clearly you don't. To be fair, you are no worse than MPs and journalists in this respect who continually misunderstand and misinterpret stats. Even relatively simple data tends to be woefully misunderstood but this one is quite complicated - your calculation is simplistic beyond belief.

obviously its a subject with multiple dynamics involved , how would you interpret the statistics then matey ? based on a country that costs 675 billion in taxation revenue and national debt servicing to pay for everything , you clueless muppet ?? cheers x
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    “There are two kinds of statistics: the kind you look up and the kind you make up” -Rex Stout

“Statistics are no substitute for judgment" -Henry Clay

“Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.” - Evan Esar

and my personal favourite,

"Statistics can be made to prove anything - even the truth." ~Author Unknown
  • millymoose
    millymoose Posts: 117
    timmyturbo wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    timmyturbo wrote:

obviously its a subject with multiple dynamics involved , how would you interpret the statistics then matey ? based on a country that costs 675 billion in taxation revenue and national debt servicing to pay for everything , you clueless muppet ?? cheers x

You clearly are a twat
  • timmyturbo
    [/quote]

You clearly are a fool[/quote]

great constructive criticism there , and objective solutions as well , i am blown over :shock:
  • rolf_f
    timmyturbo wrote:

You aren't even making sense there. But, for a start (and you'd probably like this) I wouldn't be as simplistic as to assume that the cost of a bank holiday was only the cost of the wages.

1) What is the actual lost profit to the company of the staff getting a free extra holiday? A private company will expect to make a net profit out of employing that person. And that profit needs to be on top not only of the costs of the persons wages but the costs of housing them in an office or factory and of providing them with the equipment with which to do their job (this makes your numbers much bigger). The company will still need to pay these costs whether or not the building is being used.
    2) What about the large numbers of people who did not have a day off that day? Did you try to determine how many people actually did take the day off?
    3) What did people do with their day off? Did they go out, put fuel in the car (at petrol stations whose staff didn't have the day off) and go out and visit places and spend money they otherwise might not have done? How much money did the one million who attended the Thames cavalcade spend?
    4) All these private companies working on contracts - did they all extend their deadlines by one day or are the workers just going to have to do the job in one day less?
    5) What impacts did the day have on overall power consumption?

It probably woudn't be hard to add another 50 bullet points to this list before we covered half the variables needed to assess the true cost but you claim by with variable to have covered the true cost to within 10%. Is there anything else you'd like to make up and quote as fact?
  • Frank the tank
    My favourite stat is, 1 in 4 fatal road accidents involve a drunken driver.

Question. Are you a more/less safe driver having consumed alcohol?
    Tail end Charlie

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,214
    It also blatantly misses the point that in most lines of work you have deadlines to meet. If you have an extra days public holiday you end up working the hours back to meet the deadline which won't have moved. Oh, and also takes absolutely no account of all the extra tourists that will have come in from other countries. Most of Europe has more public holidays a year than us and those with the most seem to be the best performers.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Money isn't necessarily lost, just moved around in different ways. Movement of money is what counts; how about the thousands who went to London on the day or for the weekend and spent money on fuel, hotels, eating out, London Transport etc? Is that a net loss or a net gain to the economy? I know we spent a lot more over that weekend than we would ordinarily, and I also know that overall I probably represent a net cost to my employer, so me not being in doesn't change anything in terms of lost income from that perspective.

Multiplying one number by another and claiming that as the total loss is pretty poor economics.
  • bearfraser
    bearfraser Posts: 435
    AND !!!!!
    (How much is the Olympics going to cost with more travel chaos and on the box 24/7 even if we dont want to watch it,bring on the TdF and ITV4's coverage.)