turbo trainer - need a brake?

dubcat
dubcat Posts: 737
Hi - I am looking for a cheap second hand wheel to use on my bike when it's on a turbo trainer. I noticed on ebay that often they are wheels that can not have a disc fitted. Was wondering if you actually need a brake on a turbo trainer though?
Cheers,
Dub
2010 Specialized Rockhopper
2012 Bianchi Infinito

Comments

• Jimboliana
    Jimboliana Posts: 30
    No you dont need a brake, only if you want to stop the wheel spinning. Buy a second hand road bike off eBay for a couple of hundred quid and slap that on your TT. TT will wear out your MTB bottom bracket, cassette etc fast and will cost you more in the long run.

I have a Stumpy FSR and thought about what you are doing but my LBS told me otherwise as a spear wheel was going to cost ££. I bought a second hand Allez for £300 and I can use it on the road as well without wearing out the Stumpy components in record time. Cheaper to repair the Allez
  • dubcat
    I bought a used tacx satori. Really like it.
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    if you get a non-disc wheel, then there's a really good change the spokes will catch on your rear brake calliper.
    Disc wheels have the spoke flanges set further inboard to allow room for fitting the brake rotor.
    Non-disc wheels don't, so the spokes are much closer to the outside edge of the hub.
  • dubcat
    if you get a non-disc wheel, then there's a really good change the spokes will catch on your rear brake calliper.
    Disc wheels have the spoke flanges set further inboard to allow room for fitting the brake rotor.
    Non-disc wheels don't, so the spokes are much closer to the outside edge of the hub.

Thanks - in the end I played it safe and paid a few quid extra to get a disc brake that supersonic kindly pointed me to. Really enjoyed the turbo today so it's a good Invetment. Ordered the same cassette as I have already on my bike for 19 quid too.
    2012 Bianchi Infinito