Guardian article re: Rip off charity rides

FSR_XC
FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
Interesting article about the Etape Caledonia & where the money you pay goes . . . .

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/bike-blog/2012/jun/20/charity-bike-ride?mobile-redirect=false
Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com

Comments

• bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    Just reinforces the story of so many rip-off events, but in this case I think it makes these IMG events look like cynical ploys to use associations with charities to reduce costs and increase profits. Up to each punter what to spend their money on though....
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • Rob Somerset
    Rob Somerset Posts: 127
    Its only a rip-off if you don't get what was advertised. An event deemed by some to be poor value is not necessarily a rip-off. Its up to people to shop smart and spend their money where they want. It would be nice to see how much these events actually do cost, not just speculation and please dont keep comparing the cost of a club run/volunteer small event to a large commercial event, there is bound to be a difference. I did the etape once which was expensive but it required a big organisation to run it .....fact. Big organisations can put on events others cant... fact, and they do it for profit, I cant see what the problem is.
    Hills do make I sweat a lot
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Interesting article. From what I've observed at sportives, some are simply huge money making machines. I say some because there are others which offer good value or genuinely raise money for charities.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I don't have a problem with it unless the organisers are actually misleading people. It's a lot of work putting on events and I don't begrudge people a reasonable return on their time.

Can't understand why people would volunteer to marshal events where others are making a profit though but maybe that's just me.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703
    I have done the Etape Caledonia 3 times. This year I made a personal donation to marie curie, quite seperate from the entrance fee. I've never been under the impression that the entrance fee either all or in part goes to charity. I pay to enter, along with 5,000 other people because it's one of the most fun days I can have on a bike. Maybe not for everyone, but I'm under no illusions about what is being paid for and by who. The article is another example of Guardian writers assuming people are stupid and don't know what they are doing.
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    If you're unhappy with the charging structure either don't enter, or just ride the event for nothing and make a direct donation to the charity.
  • DaveMoss
    DaveMoss Posts: 236
    I have never understood the attraction of this event. ok it's closed roads, but the road is filled to bursting with other cyclists !! . Why is that better than the hand full of cars you might encounter on these roads on any other day?

I guess it's something to do with being all together in a big gang and connecting with other like minded individuals who you would otherwise never know.
    I think this Olympic torch thing is something similar. It went past the end of the road where i was staying yesterday and I could not resist going to look; loads of folks out clapping and waving for no real reason. I don't understand it, but I sense that in both cases it's somehow a good thing.

Back to the Etapes, even if it is a good thing, the thought of IMG coining in so much aggravates me ( i really should not let it). Perth and Kinross council have the say so on the road closure, why don't they just take ownership of the event and put the running of it out to tender? Either tendered on the basis of cheapest fee for running the event and profit goes to the council (ideally the sports department) , or tendered on basis of whoever offers to run it charging the lowest entry fee gets the job; that way those taking part get the benefit.
    Sportives and tours, 100% for charity, http://www.tearfundcycling.btck.co.uk
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    DaveMoss wrote:
    I think this Olympic torch thing is something similar. It went past the end of the road where i was staying yesterday and I could not resist going to look; loads of folks out clapping and waving for no real reason. I don't understand it, but I sense that in both cases it's somehow a good thing.

Out mid-week I rode past a school where the little 'uns were all lined up brandishing mock Olympic torches and holding flags. This was nowhere near any official torch route and seemed to be the school just doing their own Olympic gig for the kids' to have fun. Gave them a quick wave, and the kids erupted into a mexican wave of cheering and frantic waving of Union Jacks as I rode past, like I was the Pope, the Queen and Justin Bieber combined into one. :lol: