Powertap, bearings and batteries changed - not pairing now!

glasgowbhoy
glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
Have a Powertap Pro + that has been generally reliable over the last 6 months.
The bearings needed changed and i put new batteries in but now I cant get my Garmin 500 to detect it.
Anyone found a fix for this?

Comments

• Maglia
    Maglia Posts: 24
    Have you updated your Garmin? Worth trying.

On a side note/moan I've just sent my G3 back for the second time. I'm pretty fed up with paying a lot of money to be a beta tester of a substandard product.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Are the new batteries good? Worth checking just in case.

Is there any corrosion at all that you can see on the battery holder or the slot that it goes in? If so then a bit of electrical contact cleaner may sort it out, or just removing it and refitting a number of times might just work.

Not so long ago I thought my Pro+ was dead, but it turned out to be either a poor contact or condensation in the hub. The hub worked fine, I removed the old batteries (which weren't yet completely dead) and put the new ones in and like you, nothing. I left the hub with the battery cover off for a few days, checking it every now and then to see if it worked and then after a few days of no life I gently cleaned the battery holder contacts with contact cleaner. It came back to life after that.

Did you change the bearings yourself? Any chance you could have caused damage while doing it?
    More problems but still living....
  • glasgowbhoy
    Cheers Guys,

Bearings changed for the 2nd time in 6 months by my local wheel builder who has worked on PT's for years
    Batteries changed last week (branded ones) .
    I've sent it back to Paligap for a full service, it's still well within warranty.
    I've enjoyed parts of the Powertap owning experience but overall I'm not analysing the numbers enough and now I'm racing most weekends the results and generally the race itself is my form guide. This PT may be up for sale soon.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,827
    Oh not another thread about a powertap failing. Not like I've not heard this before :roll: :roll:

Just glad you're still within the warranty.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I thought changing bearings yourself voids the warranty?
    More problems but still living....
  • glasgowbhoy
    amaferanga wrote:
    I thought changing bearings yourself voids the warranty?

Considering the guy that changes them has over 40 years wheel building experience I'd be fighting that all the way.
    Fingers crossed it's something simple.