Work Study - how long these jobs?

jgsi
jgsi Posts: 5,062
edited June 2012 in Workshop
removing Sora shifters and replacing with Ultegra / with new cables inner and outer - external routed.
Swapping front mech.
Swapping chain rings.
Replace bar tape
How long is this likely to take you reckon? with tea breaks have a solid workstand and enough tools and also good cutters for cables.

Comments

• Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    home "mechanic" / beginner - up to a day
    shop mechanic - 2-2.5h
    forum keyboard mechanic (always the fastest) - 30min :wink:
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    Give yourself half a day ---- slowest bit may well be removing / replacing old levers if lots tacky gluey bits old tape left after unwrapping bars---which will need cleaning up to allow levers slide off / on and new tape to sit nicely on bars.

You may also find undoing chainring bolts can sometimes not be as straightforwards as expected, eg old bolts jammed up, have you got both allen key and tool for slotted head ??
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    i reckon 3 hrs tops.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • jgsi
    The OH is working from 10 till 4 , so general consensus seems, have enough time :D
    ta lads
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    JGSI wrote:
    The OH is working from 10 till 4 , so general consensus seems, have enough time :D
    ta lads

Easily - provided you don't keep finding you need to go to B&Q for more insulation tape or the bike shop for something else or discovering you are missing a particular socket or the torque wrench etc etc!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • jgsi
    As the weather is prob not good for weekend, just going to move the shifters and replace with Gore ride on cables that have sat in my 'roundtoit 'box for 12 months. The rear mech on target bike is already a scuffed Ultegra 6700 and Sora front mech will suffice for time being.

With 6700 shifters, seems you do need short neck allen keys as the fixing bolt is placed very awkwardly but can get round it.

Have read the Gore Ride on recall... as I am using the Shimano end, seems I'm in the clear to use the cable set.
    That could have been an problem, as I have forgotten who I got the cable set off and then waiting for replacement.
  • centimani
    centimani Posts: 467
    JGSI wrote:
    removing Sora shifters and replacing with Ultegra / with new cables inner and outer - external routed.
    Swapping front mech.
    Swapping chain rings.
    Replace bar tape
    How long is this likely to take you reckon? with tea breaks have a solid workstand and enough tools and also good cutters for cables.

I use spanners every day, its my job, but i'd be looking at several hours. Funny, as soon as its a job for myself, i get distracted so easily and move from one thing to another. I dont rush either, its not a race. Do it steadily, do it properly.

Removing bartape and shifters...maybe 30 minutes
    Swapping front mech...maybe 30 minutes, dont forget youre not just 'fitting' it, you'll want it to be aligned correctly, right height from the chainrings....it all takes a little time playing with it,
    Swapping chainrings...maybe 30 minutes.(absolutely maximum)
    Fitting Ultegra shifters...slide them on, get them in the right position, fanny about deciding if theyre high enough etc etc, clamp them, route cables etc etc...maybe 1 to 2 hours.
    Fitting bartape...doing it carefully, maybe 1 hour. You can do it quicker if you do one side at a time, leave the old stuff on one side, use it as a pattern to follow.

Connecting up all the cables, trimming the ends, adjusting, all the little bits that you forget to factor in.
    So ive got 4 to 5 hours say, plus tea breaks, distractions etc and that doesnt include fine tuning the shifters....
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    All depends if you get distracted by MumsNet really - if so, about 8 days, if not, oooohhhh, uninterrupted by kids and wife?: 2 hours including standing back, checking that all is right, marking position of old levers etc etc.