Converting 6-speed into 8/9-speed

eyepic
eyepic Posts: 58
edited June 2012 in Workshop
Hello

I have and oldish Raleigh 531 frame (1987 I think) which has 6 speed indexed gears with the gear leavers on the ?front tube?... (not sure what you call that tube).

Can it be converted to an 8 or 9 speed with the gear changers in the brakes and if so what do I do about the buts where the gear levers are?

Thanks

David

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    IF the frame spacing is 126mm then you have a few options
    have a read
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#up7
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    It's going to be expensive and as an upgrade it won't return the money... I suggest you keep the bike as it is... retro is coming back strong... lots of events for vintage bikes in the continent and catching up over here too (pendle witches vela, for instance). If you need spares, e-bay or cycle jumbles are the places to go
    left the forum March 2023
  • mattsccm
    mattsccm Posts: 409
    Yes it can be done but uneconomical unless 2nd hand bits.
    Sheldon has it on frame spacing but I have several 531 Raleighs of your bike vintage and they all run 130mm hubs ie the old modern stuff that you want. I just pull the dropouts .(in that 10 or 11 speed is modern.) You will need a new wheel, plenty about just check they are 130mm . Remember that you will be cahnaging to a cassette system at the back. See Sheldon again. Don't forget to add the cost of the cassette and a new chain.
    The braze ons for the old levers are needed as stops for the outer cables from the handlebar mounted shifters. You can get some little brackets for them. Try SJSC and poke around the frame or cable or shifter accessories maybe. I would go Shimano as 8/9 speed Campag is expensive as its called retro. Wheels would be the same. 8 speed Shimano is still current as is 9 but stuff like Soar comes up often. Try all the forums plus bike jumbles. Basic used wheels may be had for a tenner. They may need a true but that should be 5/10 quid each.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Keep it 6 speed. I have recently built up an old Alan with a 6 speed period Campag groupset and wheels. It's is absolutley briulliant. I even use for time trials it's so good.

O.K a modern TT bike would be fater but this is so much more fun. People alos stop to look at it - vanity I know.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.