Halfords post purchase check!

xing88
xing88 Posts: 15
edited June 2012 in Workshop
Hi guys,

I am a complete beginner when it comes to bike mechanics.

I have a Boardman Carbon road bike to pick up tomorrow.

The guys in the Bike Hut didn't inspire me with confidence.

They are apparently going to "build" the bike for me.

Is there anything that I need to double check myself before going out for the first time?

Many thanks.

Comments

• james-m-h
    james-m-h Posts: 85
    that both the wheels are on tight that the handle bars and forks are on the correct way round, and that all gears hit when you change oh and that the brakes work i cant think of much more than that
    road- Trek 1000
    XC trail anthem X4
    school and shops- orange P7 single speed
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Probably want to check that the saddle is tight too.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • Rodders30
    Rodders30 Posts: 314
    So to sum that all up

'Everything'
    Trek 1.5 Road
    Haro MTB
  • nickbuchan
    nickbuchan Posts: 26
    probably check tyre pressures too...
  • freddiegrubb
    freddiegrubb Posts: 448
    Halfords building a bike what a joke, unless the bike is being built to your spec.this is what halfords & your LBS. do - take it out of the box- front wheel on _ straighten bars-check stem-saddle post & saddle slide in- check brakes & gear indexing- more air in tyres- then present it to you.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,869
    check the aheadset is not loose/over tightened
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • sutbags
    sutbags Posts: 45
    I bought a Boardman from Halfords.I was getting a lift in my brothers car to pick it up the next day.The assistant said to me '' I will show you how to take the front wheel off so that you can get it in the car '' :shock: When I got it home I got the tools out and checked everything for tightness, brakes ,crank , bars etc. I was quite surprised to find everything tight until I checked the cassette. The cassette locking ring was not even finger tight :!: On the day I agreed to buy the bike the assistant asked me if I would be riding it home from the shop ....don't think so.The bike is bob on but I would check everything before getting on the saddle or take it to your LBS first.
  • MikeNAG
    MikeNAG Posts: 4
    Got my Boardman, after a week needed a service to get the gears adjusted, so with the free services I go with it took it in. It came back worse! now it goes to a good local bike shop!