Training on Rollers and numbness!

pechacheli
pechacheli Posts: 184
I've recently bought a set of rollers to do 20-30 min intervals. I have mainly used a turbo trainer and have easily done 45-60mins sessions without too much discomfort. However after a session on the rollers my hands and nutz go completely numb and take a good few minutes to get sensation back! The bike I'm using is the same as I use daily and can comfortably ride of the saddle for 20 mins at a time.

Any advice would be much appreciated before something drops off!

Comments

• Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    That's because on rollers there is barely any resistance, so you can't press down on the pedals very hard. Pressing down on the pedals actually helps relieve pressure on your perineum. I don't think there's anything you can do except try to stand up frequently
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    or maybe just focus on relaxing more - most people grip the bars like grim death when they get into rollers. A tip I was given that really helped, was to wiggle my fingers every few mins and that forces you to relax your hands and shoulders. I suspect that might also be why you are suffering on the sadle as well - I suspect you might be forced into a slightly odd position as a result of being tensed up?
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • Switching from my old Selle Italia to a Specialized Toupe( the one that the centre is cut out) helped a lot. I still have to occasionally stand up while still on the rollers for a few seconds every few minutes. If standing up is still difficult to do, get off the bike every 15 minutes or so and walk around for a minute.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Switching from my old Selle Italia to a Specialized Toupe( the one that the centre is cut out) helped a lot. I still have to occasionally stand up while still on the rollers for a few seconds every few minutes. If standing up is still difficult to do, get off the bike every 15 minutes or so and walk around for a minute.
    Cutout saddles are a big help.
  • pechacheli
    pechacheli Posts: 184
    thanks all for your advice. saddle changed with 1min break every 10mins has done the trick. still a little bit of numbness in the hands but i guess thats the nature of rollers..
  • lef
    lef Posts: 728
    Selle SMP composit saddle all the way. No numbness on road or rollers and turbo. Also get out the saddle for a few seconds every few minutes.
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    When I ride on the track, once I pass the 40min mark, my nuts also go numb. I don't think its anything to do with the saddle though.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012