Latest lingo

heavymental
heavymental Posts: 2,076
edited June 2012 in The cake stop
Good times/Bad times
Ballache
Reeeally!?

Feel free to add to as new ones crop up.

Comments

• Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Are any of the above new?

How about:
    Well jel
    Amazeballs
    Totes (as in 'totally')

I seriously have to hold myself back from punching people in the throat when I hear 'amazeballs'
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218
    Pfft.

You guys are behind the curve.

I was saying wel jel about 5 years ago.

Try "Ceebs" when you can't be bothered, and "winning" for anything positive. As in: "My burrito was half price today! Winning!"

Brillo pads for something brilliant is a good one too.
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Hah my teenage neefews have a whole sign language...

My favourite is: hold two fingers up to your forehead and then flatten your hand like you are shielding one eye from the sun - translates as too far; as in you have taken that too far.

there are others - make an L shape with each forefinger and thumb then press them together making the shape of a fanny...
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I ignore people when they start spouting sh*te like this to me. If they can't be bothered to talk properly, I can't be bothered to listen.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Simples.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    REEM

WTH is that?
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Cracks me up when the 'street' kids answer their phones with "What you sayin', yeh?"

Errrr, nothing yet...

Living with a couple of London born Nigerians this year was an education, honestly.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Pfft. I was saying wel jel about 5 years ago.

Oooh wel jel
  • timmyturbo
    timmyturbo Posts: 617
    something can be seriously "PENG" which is the opposite of "LAME" apparently
    Britannia waives the rules
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Wots used to winds me up speshially when I woz in Glaaaastershire, was "Ah bless", said anytime something was faintly endearing or cute.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Basically I can't stand the people who begin anything they say with the word 'basically'! :?
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    aaaaaaaaaggggghhhhh

make it stop
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Basically I can't stand the people who begin anything they say with the word 'basically'! :?

There is literally nothing worse than this.

It always impresses me (in a sick, incredulous, 'look at the size of that burning oil well' sort of way) how many people get the word 'literally' exactly wrong.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Anything spoken by a kid, using that god-awful London-street affected accent.

Fuck1ng. Awful.

"No wot a mean bro. Innit."
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    Ben6899 wrote:

Fuck1ng. Awful.

And the posher the kid involved, the more you get reminded of the RAF pilots from The Armstrong & Miller Show. :)

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • y33stu
    y33stu Posts: 376
    As much as I hate these new phrases. I generally don't come into daily contact with the kn*bs that use them. I do however come into daily contact with people in the office that want to :

Touch base
    Reach out
    Finish things by the "end of play"
    have "blue sky" thinking

Bigger Kn*bs.
    Cycling prints
    Band of Climbers
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Ben6899 wrote:

Fuck1ng. Awful.

And the posher the kid involved, the more you get reminded of the RAF pilots from The Armstrong & Miller Show. :)

David

I'm generally on the bus when I overhear it. A bus that goes to either Hampstead Heath or Highgate. So, yeh, generally pretty "posh" kids.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Blacktemplar
    Blacktemplar Posts: 713
    Endless, like, repetition of like, the word, like in like every, like, teenagers sentences. Like

Oh, and 'chillax'

And saying 'cool' when the smallest of things is, like, acceptable.
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • DorsetKnob
    DorsetKnob Posts: 79
    edited June 2012
    y33stu wrote:
    As much as I hate these new phrases. I generally don't come into daily contact with the kn*bs that use them. I do however come into daily contact with people in the office that want to :

Touch base
    Reach out
    Finish things by the "end of play"
    have "blue sky" thinking

Bigger Kn*bs.

You want to play 'w@nk word bingo'! Write all these stupid americanised management bollox phrases on a bit of paper, photocopy and hand out, and whoever can cross them off quickest by using them during normal office/telephone conversation has to stand up, shout 'House' in an annoying tone, and should be allowed to go home early! Hours of piss-taking fun!!

(I practise 'seagull management' - fly-in, make a lot of noise and sh1t all over everything, and fly out again!)
    Battaglin C11
    Carrera LRS2
    Carrera Jabberwock
    Kona Paddy wagon fixed
    Carlton Catalina
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    DorsetKnob wrote:
    You want to play 'w@nk word bingo'! Write all these stupid americanised management bollox phrases on a bit of paper, photocopy and hand out, and whoever can cross them off quickest by using them during normal office/telephone conversation has to stand up, shout 'House' in an annoying tone, and should be allowed to go home early! Hours of piss-taking fun!!
    traditionally known as "Bullsh!t bingo", when you get a full row you are actually supposed to stand up and shout "bullsh!t!"
  • DorsetKnob
    I'll take that on board!!
    Battaglin C11
    Carrera LRS2
    Carrera Jabberwock
    Kona Paddy wagon fixed
    Carlton Catalina
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,366
    bompington wrote:
    DorsetKnob wrote:
    traditionally known as "Bullsh!t bingo", when you get a full row you are actually supposed to stand up and shout "bullsh!t!"

Came across these two gems recently:

"The transition away from siloed management toward a more service-centric management culture was never going to be easy, and even as it’s stumbled forward towards real progress, it’s taken many casualties along the way. Everything from one-size-fits-all automation platforms, to all encompassing BSM initiatives, to many CMDB/CMS deployments have suffered from early-phase technology combined with poor IT governance and overinflated vendor hype. The mismatch of expectations to reality has never become more dangerous to IT than it is today with the advent of cloud computing. This is in spite of the many industry opinions to the contrary; cloud only accelerates the requirements for relevant insights into cross-domain configuration and service independencies, both within IT and across the ecosystem of IT, its partners, service providers and suppliers."

AND

". . . So we have the seeds of some specific areas that we could table as candidates for consideration. The review process will likely be iterative here as we drill down to specifics of what would seem to be appropriate to balance other stuff we need to get done. We will need to work out some quantitative understanding of what we might want to do here so we can appreciate the resourcing implications.

You need to think of a catchy title for this area of ownership so we can bring these things under a general area of categorization – almost like a sub-roadmap along the lines of ‘Current Consumption’ or ‘Memory Reduction’. Perhaps just ‘Code Improvement’ would do.

You need to take ownership of this area as a feature lead, facilitate discussion and regular agenda. Obtain stakeholder involvement through objective meeting facilitation and take responsibility for delivery like other feature leads along with all the other seemingly conflicting and impossible things we have to deliver J

Use Phil’s meeting to introduce the topic and get the subject added as candidate but drill down for that meeting. There will need to be some offline scoping with people. I’ve added others to this thread for heads up"

In what kind of parallel universe is it necessary to use such b0llocks?
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • y33stu
    DorsetKnob wrote:

(I practise 'seagull management' - fly-in, make a lot of noise and sh1t all over everything, and fly out again!)

I once played a version of that game directed at 1 person in my office. He used to spout off the same lines over and over again. I gave everyone one of his "lines" on paper one day and we all had to stand up every time he said one. No word of a lie, I had to stand up 15 times that day. The c*ock that he is. Funnily enough we didn't speak again again after that!
    Cycling prints
    Band of Climbers
  • y33stu
    laurentian wrote:

"The transition away from siloed management toward a more service-centric management culture was never going to be easy, and even as it’s stumbled forward towards real progress, it’s taken many casualties along the way. Everything from one-size-fits-all automation platforms, to all encompassing BSM initiatives, to many CMDB/CMS deployments have suffered from early-phase technology combined with poor IT governance and overinflated vendor hype. The mismatch of expectations to reality has never become more dangerous to IT than it is today with the advent of cloud computing. This is in spite of the many industry opinions to the contrary; cloud only accelerates the requirements for relevant insights into cross-domain configuration and service independencies, both within IT and across the ecosystem of IT, its partners, service providers and suppliers."

AND

". . . So we have the seeds of some specific areas that we could table as candidates for consideration. The review process will likely be iterative here as we drill down to specifics of what would seem to be appropriate to balance other stuff we need to get done. We will need to work out some quantitative understanding of what we might want to do here so we can appreciate the resourcing implications.

You need to think of a catchy title for this area of ownership so we can bring these things under a general area of categorization – almost like a sub-roadmap along the lines of ‘Current Consumption’ or ‘Memory Reduction’. Perhaps just ‘Code Improvement’ would do.

You need to take ownership of this area as a feature lead, facilitate discussion and regular agenda. Obtain stakeholder involvement through objective meeting facilitation and take responsibility for delivery like other feature leads along with all the other seemingly conflicting and impossible things we have to deliver J

Use Phil’s meeting to introduce the topic and get the subject added as candidate but drill down for that meeting. There will need to be some offline scoping with people. I’ve added others to this thread for heads up"

Wow. I can only assume you work in the public sector? Cos that's exactly the type of sh*te I'd expect them to spout. My personal favourites in there:

facilitate discussion and regular agenda
    offline scoping
    objective meeting facilitation
    table as candidates for consideration
    quantitative understanding

Horrible. Just horrible.
    Cycling prints
    Band of Climbers
  • DorsetKnob
    Had a customer in me office just 2 weeks ago who looked at me and without a smile said
    'I have an idea that I would like to kick around the desk to see if it scores'.
    I had to resist punching him.
    Battaglin C11
    Carrera LRS2
    Carrera Jabberwock
    Kona Paddy wagon fixed
    Carlton Catalina
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,366
    y33stu wrote:
    laurentian wrote:

AND

Wow. I can only assume you work in the public sector? Cos that's exactly the type of sh*te I'd expect them to spout. My personal favourites in there:

facilitate discussion and regular agenda
    offline scoping
    objective meeting facilitation
    table as candidates for consideration
    quantitative understanding

Horrible. Just horrible.

No, I'm not in the public sector, I just happened upon these two communications. The first of which was translated thus:

"The transition away from siloed management toward a more service-centric management culture was never going to be easy" - Changing the way a company operates is hard...

"and even as it’s stumbled forward towards real progress, it’s taken many casualties along the way" - ...and it doesn't always work out.

"Everything from one-size-fits-all automation platforms, to all encompassing BSM initiatives, to many CMDB/CMS deployments have suffered from early-phase technology combined with poor IT governance and overinflated vendor hype." - Tthe technology used for content management systems isn't suitable in many cases - but the salesman did a great job.

"The mismatch of expectations to reality has never become more dangerous to IT than it is today with the advent of cloud computing." - People are expecting too much of this new fad called 'the cloud'...

"This is in spite of the many industry opinions to the contrary; cloud only accelerates the requirements for relevant insights into cross-domain configuration and service independencies, both within IT and across the ecosystem of IT, its partners, service providers and suppliers." - ...but some people think it's the bee's knees
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • bearfraser
    bearfraser Posts: 435
    WTF , BS
    TOTES
    :lol:
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    'Well good' or it was 'well interesting' or 'mega'. It was mega brilliant, f**king retards. Like to see some of them go to Poland and get a job. Ha ha.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    DesWeller wrote:

There is literally nothing worse than this.

It always impresses me (in a sick, incredulous, 'look at the size of that burning oil well' sort of way) how many people get the word 'literally' exactly wrong.
    'ironically' is another spectacularly misused word