etape eryri

petemadoc
petemadoc Posts: 2,331
edited February 2014 in Sportives/audaxes/training rides
Anyone doing this one?

Excellent route around Snowdonia. Should be a good one.

http://etapeeryri.com/

Comments

• twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    Thought about it but at £35 they're having a laugh. Am doing the mid Wales Challenge the week after instead http://redkite-events.co.uk/page13.html
  • petemadoc
    The £35 is off putting

I was thinking of riding the route and looking after myself with regards to food/water etc. There's plenty of shops and cafes along the route for cake :)
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    i'll be doing it. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • petemadoc
    Ok I managed to persuade Mrs Madog to do the etape bach 47 miler.

So I might get a baby sitter so I can ride part of the route with her
    :D then I'll plod on and do the rest.

Had a look at the route in more detail, there's some nasty steep bits in there and some real long slow climbs too, final descent done the Llanberis pass will be welcome near the end.
  • petemadoc
    What a great event this was. The best organisation I've seen at a sportive.

Big thanks to Cleat for the entry :D
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    What a great event this was. The best organisation I've seen at a sportive.

Big thanks to Cleat for the entry :D

I was thinking of you today - did you do the 100? what was the weather like?
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • T.C.
    T.C. Posts: 495
    Agree pete - excellent wasn't it - hard course especially the migneint with the wind - i clocked 106 miles in 7.43 riding time of 7.02 happy with that.
  • petemadoc
    Weather was fantastic considering the recent deluge, stayed dry all the way round there was even a bit of sun.

Finishing time for me was 6.45 but I did have to stop for a massive poo, must have cost me 20 minutes ;)

I can't stress enough how well organised this was. It put all other sportives I've done to shame, made all the Wiggle Kilo to go events look cr4p. Marshals on every corner, well stocked feed stops and everyone was friendly. Even got some useful freebies for a change b(brake cable, water bottle and a welsh slate coaster to put my beer on)

Only negatives, no gels at feedstops. And some to55er taking the pi55 out of my wifes shoes, yes you rider 323 Tom Dodd you are a pr1ck
  • ben16v
    ben16v Posts: 296
    i did the mawr and enjoyed all of it, weather was good all the way - bit damp in some places cool in the shade and hot in the sun
    chip time 6hrs 9mins
    i need more bikes
  • licko
    licko Posts: 72
    I Agree - good event, well organised. I'll try to upgrade from the short to the long route next year!
  • dylanfernley
    dylanfernley Posts: 409
    did not pay to go for a ride, but going over pen-y-pass, some women started to cheer until they noticed i had no number, their faces dropped and showed indifference, later heard they were under instruction to only applaud/praise paying entrants--- welcome to corporate cycling--- next year might plan some anarchic fun instead.....
  • Hi, all i have an entry for this event for sale at a reduced price as i cannot now participate, if anyone is interested please message me. Thanks, Dave.
  • dylanfernley
    dylanfernley Posts: 409
    cheers dave-- i shall be riding one of the routes this year--not paying to ride my local roads ffs-- shall have a bit of costume on though :wink:
  • trekvet
    trekvet Posts: 223
    May do the Etape Bach 47, but as I don't want to drive to Caernarfon at that hour only to find nowhere to park may start from the Beddgelert Afon Glaslyn/Bryn Eglwys phone box as they come through and do the whole route round the block.
    The Wife complained for months about the empty pot of bike oil on the hall stand; so I replaced it with a full one.
  • ben16v
    ben16v Posts: 296
    TrekVet wrote:
    May do the Etape Bach 47, but as I don't want to drive to Caernarfon at that hour only to find nowhere to park may start from the Beddgelert Afon Glaslyn/Bryn Eglwys phone box as they come through and do the whole route round the block.
    plenty of free parking at the rugby club - 5min cycle from the start
    i need more bikes
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Anyone doing it this year.

Entry is £42 now seems alot :shock:
  • Got to be a bit of a rip off at £42 IMHO. I'm going to do the Dragon ride the week before instead!
  • Moonbiker
    Thats ones £87.50 if you are doing the long ride. :shock:

The 3 longer distances are sold out now.

Thought it would be closed road for that price?
  • at what price do you people say enough is enough--for me this is become another corporate fleecing scheme-like many other s sports , keep squeezing until its dry...
  • Moonbiker
    Its a shame Audax don't seem to attract as many riders as sportives but maybe an audax with say 1,000 plus riders like some sportives have wouldn't work due to the organizing logistics?
  • on the continent they seem to cope well enough --but then there is a much more positive attitude to cycling anyhow, and they do not always need goody bags as a bribe...