HELP!! Mountain bike weekend in Wales

Potsie2518
Potsie2518 Posts: 25
edited June 2012 in Routes
Can anyone please help me, ive just returned from Afghan and am trying to get a group of us to go away for the weekend mountain biking in North Wales, the only problem being is i want the the trail centre to have everything we need! Meaning:

Being a trail centre for one.
To have a camp site (or very nearby).
Also to have a bike hire shop.

It sounds so simple i know but i just keep being redirected continously to different links. I do like the sound of the 'new mountain bike centre in Blaenau Ffestiniog'

Does anyone know if this has everything i need? the dates im looking at are from the 27th - 2nd August if so please let me know asap please, including links and guides if need be.

Thanks for your help guys and if you havent already worked this out im new to all of this so your time will be really apprciated.

William
Thanks guys

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    i'd say either llandegla - but there's only 1 trail really, bike hire, visitors centre

or coed y brenin - loads of trails, visitors centre, bike hire and camping near by.

check out: http://www.mbwales.com or

http://www.trailguru.co.uk/

i'd say that coed y brenin is the better option personally :D
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    +1 For CyB, there's enough there to keep you happy for a weekend.
  • Majski
    Majski Posts: 443
    Coed y brenin without a doubt. Blenau Ffestiniog isn't open yet, and when it does the trail center / XC stuff won't be open till november.

I recommend Cae Gwyn Farm for accmoodation http://caegwynfarm.co.uk/ they have a campsite, bunkhouse and touring caravan to rent, secure bike storage, self catering facilities, bike wash, shower block etc. It's about a 10 minute ride to the trail centre so you can leave the car there during the day and just take your bikes kit with you.

As for coed y brenin, the trail centre is fantastic and has a great cafe, showers, bike shop and hire bike facilities. There are 60+k of some of the best XC riding in wales ranging from super easy blue runs to some nice techy (harder than Llandegla, easier than some scottish XC's) black runs. You could easily fill a few days with what they have on offer there. There is also a 2nd cafe half way around the dragons back / beast trail which is handy! The forest eas easy to find your way round and there are plenty of shortcuts back to the trail centre if need be.

In the evening you can cycle up to Bronaber holiday village and there's a good pub there, or there's an option of free taxi's to/from another pub down the road if you speak to the owners at Cae Gwyn. However, note that there are no good food shops near by. Bronaber has a small store but it's expensive and Trawsfynydd is like Royston Vasey so you'll likely die if you eat / drink anything from there. Nearest big(ish) town is Dolgellau.

Hope this helps, everytime i've stayed there we've had a very enjoyable and cheap weekend away. Just make sure you bring the strongest mozzie spray you can find!
  • Potsie2518
    Potsie2518 Posts: 25
    Thanks guys for such the quick replies!! Looks like Coed y brenin is the way foward then. Cheers Majski for that link to the campsite it looks perfect, everything think we need and so cheap! Bonus

Cheers again guys.

William
  • Majski
    Majski Posts: 443
    Potsie2518 wrote:
    Thanks guys for such the quick replies!! Looks like Coed y brenin is the way foward then. Cheers Majski for that link to the campsite it looks perfect, everything think we need and so cheap! Bonus

Cheers again guys.

William

No probs, it's very good value to be honest. You will get eaten by midgies if you're camping so just beware of that but they're ok with bbqs and the like - just find a rock to stick one on. The bunkhouse is good but if there's not many of you you'll be sharing with others.

Let us know how you get on with the trails - I love riding at CyB it's just got a great mix of everything that all links together really well.