Marmotte and Etape...what was I thinking?

WorcsPhil
WorcsPhil Posts: 19
There are separate and good threads on the Marmotte and Etape, but wondered who else in a spell of misguided bravado last November entered both. Marmotte on the staurday, Etape from Albertville on the sunday. There are four of us average, but keen cyclists doing it after we did the Marmotte last year (all finishing around the 9 - 10hr mark including Glandon descent) and then felt ok the next day, indeed, we climbed the Alpe again in the Grimpee 30 mins faster than the previous day. This has given us the incentive to try both.

The biggest issue apart from the obvious distances and never-ending climbing is the logistics, we're camping close to Bourg, so the saturday is ok, but it will mean a 4am start the next day after not getting back to the tent at probably 7pm on the saturday. How are others doing it? I suppose if it gets too much, I could always bail out at the top of the Glandon on the Etape and roll back to the tent in just over an hour....

Having said all that, really looking forward to it now, these events are not all about the bike, but about the challenge, and the camaraderie of a weekend away with like-minded friends. Good luck to all who have entered.

Comments

• TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Madness.
    Felt surprisingly good after the Marmotte last year, but wouldn't fancy then doing the Etape!
    exercise.png
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I was way too tired to even bother with the Grimp the next morning. I guess if I'd stayed off the beers and gone to bed instead of staying up to watch the boxing it would have been OK - legs felt fine I was just tired out. Did the Alpe down and up the evening before the Marmotte, didn't seem to do me any harm.
  • Yep. Been having the same thoughts myself!

I'm staying in Albetville, so have the benefit of a lie in (of sorts) on the Sunday. I also have the advantage of a trained masseuse in my support team (aka. the GF)!
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I did a century ride yesterday - woke up this morning with sore legs - thought about this thread and thought no I wouldn't have fancied riding the Etape today. Good luck !

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.