(Partially) less Rusty Raleigh

bompington
bompington Posts: 7,674
edited June 2012 in Workshop
Well, the grinding from the front end has been getting worse for a long time now, and when everything started wobbling, it was clearly time to do something. I'm afraid I decided I CBA and took it to LBS - who couldn't get anything undone.
So it was cut it all out and put in a complete fork, stem and steerer - and they found this old fork lying around:

So, nice and shiny - and nostalgically reminiscent of all the old cars I used to have with mismatched scrapyard wings and such.
Looks, as you might guess by now, aren't very important to me - but I quite like the shiny look, so maybe when I finally get the C2W bike I'm looking at and this one becomes a project, the stripped-down-and-lacquered look?

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    Indeed, and a set of shiny hand builds please... those aksium really don't work with period
    left the forum March 2023
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Indeed, and a set of shiny hand builds please... those aksium really don't work with period
    You're absolutely right, but I think I mentioned how much I'm bothered about appearance?;-)
    I certainly would rather not have had the black finish, but it was a bit unlikely I was going to find budget, vintage-look, 21st century performance handbuilts at less than 24 hours notice, which is what it turned out to be when my old wheels went pringle shaped.