Shouldn't my Magicshine light be dead..........?

getprg
getprg Posts: 245
edited June 2012 in The cake stop
I bought one of the Magicshine LED front lights (about £40 as I recall) more than two winters ago from Dealextreme (somewhere out East - China?) for commuting (I have a 26 mile commute on both busy urban and unlit country roads) and against the advice of some posters on here who warned me variously that:

1. The battery would burst into flames under charge
2. The battery/light unit would be destroyed in the first rainstorm - letting in water
3. The battery wouldn't hold a charge after the first winter
4. You get what you pay for and so it must be rubbish

I have cared for the light (as I would probably even more so if I had paid £150+), the battery is kept in a tri bag on the top tube when in use and left (as advised for the battery type) half charged throughout summer (well when we get one) in the fridge. It has been used in rain, snow, on icy evenings at -15C. The head unit is as bright as ever and charge life seems pretty much unchanged.

So I'm thinking it should be dead by now - but the only problem is it isn't. I know I'm courting disater as I write this because the battery will probably explode any minute now in the fridge spraying the contents over the kitchen.

What I want to know is - what am I doing wrong? - have I just been lucky? - has anybody else experienced this faulty longevity?

PS - as a precaution I think I will blow about £20 and invest in a spare battery pack(s) for the upcoming winter and check the household insurance cover.

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    It's the summer solstice and you're talking about lights! You should be relaxing enjoying the, errrrr, rays..... :lol:

Can't you leave this til tomorrow when the nights start drawing in......?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • ste_
    ste_ Posts: 124
    I've also experienced this prolonged longevity. :(

I was led to believe that for the £28 I paid out for my 1200 lumen Chinese SSC-P7 I could expect a much more troublesome ownership proposition. I feel cheated.
  • getprg
    getprg Posts: 245

Fail to plan - plan to fail - or something like that - now I never should have taken the mudguards off the commuter :roll:
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Rolf F wrote:
    It's the summer solstice and you're talking about lights! You should be relaxing enjoying the, errrrr, rays..... :lol:

timely post, I'm looknig for a light for the 2 minutes of darkness I will get at the Strathpuffer Lite.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days