Advice on new Fox forks

drumandguitar
drumandguitar Posts: 74
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
Ive managed to damage my forks (snapped the end off damper rod) and am wondering whether I should just go all out and replace the complete fork rather than try and get them repaired as there is the beginnings of wear on both stanchions.

Anyway the Canyon manual (2011 XC7) says they are Fox 32 F120 RL 120mm 1.5 taper.

Looking on the CRC website Ive found these forks but they are not described as tapered. Presumably these wont fit?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=70254

Has anyone had to have a damper rod repaired/replaced in a similar fork and how much can I expect to pay?

Can anyone recommend a cheaper fork that would give me the same peformance and that would be compatible with my bike? A link would be great.

Thanks
Canyon Nerve XC7
Carrera Fury
Specialized Secteur Elite
Planet X Uncle John

Comments

• mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    If the uppers are worn, they might insist on a new parts. That will add over £100 to the bill, as well as the £110 service, ,£10 postage each way, and the rod as well. Expect £300 if uppers are needed.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It won't fit direct as is not tapered. It may fit depending on the headtube and a new headset.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Worn stanchions on a year old fork seems pretty bad. I would replace them with Rockshox Rebas, much better value than Fox F120's.
  • Well to say Im disappointed in the level of wear after basically 12 months riding and what I thought was appropriate cleaning after most rides would be an understatement. Would something like the following be the equivalent Reba fork?

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/a73670/reba-rl-dual-air-120-tapered-black-with-remote-option.html?lg=en
    Canyon Nerve XC7
    Carrera Fury
    Planet X Uncle John
  • rockmonkeysc
    Similar. Those Rebas have QR drop outs, not sure what yours are.
    I have heard of Fox stanchions wearing quickly though my F120's still looked like new after two years of riding at least 50 miles a week, all off road.
    Did you ever do any maintenance to them? I give mine a lower lube every month and spray on some fork juice before (nearly) every ride.
  • Ive not done anything apart from cleaning and spraying with fork juice so lesson learnt I guess.

Ive had a quote of £275 for service/new stanchions/bushings and replacement rod which I guess Ill go for and in future Ill be regularly cleaning and relubing those seals/foam rings.
    Canyon Nerve XC7
    Carrera Fury
    Planet X Uncle John
  • supersonic
    £275?! I'd get a new Reba RLT or RL, better fork anyway!
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    After that amount of damage i wouldn't touch them with a bargepole. Had rockshox forks that had no signs of damage or wear after a year and a half and never even had them open!
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Recenty had anew air spring side in my talas, and that was 80 bucks.

Full service is 90odd and uppers i think are about 140 for the 32. so you'd be look about £300 sobs in the face for the fork back as new. to be honest your not gonna get a much better 120mm fork anyways and if its 2011 fork you can get a kashima upper, which is shiny.

I would just plump and get them sorted myself it's less effort :)
  • bennett_346
    I would just plump and get them sorted myself it's less effort :)
    I'd be worried about it happening again personally.
  • supersonic
    Actually I'd get a Rev and space it down, though Merlin are out of stock of the qr version at £285.
  • bennett_346
    supersonic wrote:
    Actually I'd get a Rev and space it down, though Merlin are out of stock of the qr version at £285.
    Wouldn't that slacken the head angle a lot? If im not mistaken i thought spacing them down didn't adjust the axle to crown length or visible stanchion but just prevented them from compressing past a certain point?
  • rockmonkeysc
    It will reduce the A-C, no different to winding down travel adjust.
    Reba is lighter than the Rev.