"AMY" 2011 GT Force Carbon Expert

Gazlar
Gazlar Posts: 8,084
edited November 2012 in Your mountain bikes
Well Dr Zoidberg has gone off to old greg mostly who rebuilt him, and Bender is about to be junked, so time for a new Gazlar build using mostly left over Bender bits. Anyway let me introduce you to Amy, named following my futurama theme after Amy Wong, mainly because the frame is a Chinese import.

To be honest I've sat around most the week moping waiting for it to come and now its here I cant be bothered to start building tonight, but heres what we have.

amy1l.jpg

I'll post the spec up when shes finished, ship shape and ready to go

Anyone wanna pop round and thread some internal cabling for me? ;)
Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
Amy
Farnsworth
Zapp

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Must say I'm looking forward to this gaz, looks chuffing nice mate, and I can't stand GT's! Welcome to the plastic/helium/voodoo material bike club :P
  • Gazlar
    she seems to weigh a fair bit mind, i was expecting her to float out the door ;) maybe shes a chubby asian babe, not bad for 620 quid, actually 530 as ebay have said i'm entitled to my shipping back as instead of 5-8 days it took exactly 5 weeks
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    glad she's finally arrived mate -looks good :D

i'd be peed right off though if i had to build it myself - i'm useless and would probably break it :lol:

we'll get out for another ride when it's built - one without a bitch of a climb before the end and more DH :lol:
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    What forks are you planning on running. I found the Revs 150/130 dual travel great, the fox float 140 that came with the bike were horrible in comparison
  • Gazlar
    Going to be popping some talas 140 rlcs on for now, as that's what I've got in the shed. See how it runs and decide from there really
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    The frames are very stiff and need a fork to match. Not sure how much stiifer the talas are over the floats but can't be any worse
  • Gazlar
    I'm a little concerned dropping a 140 on might make the head a bit too steep, will remain to be seen though how that works out. Couldn't resist just putting the frame together and threading the first of the internal cables, dont know what the fuss is about that, took me 2 minutes.

amy2h.jpg

Starting to look a bit more bike shaped, tommorrow will be take apart bender and scrub him day and pop a few more bits and pieces in, think i'm going to need a bit more gear outer

Kev, i'm glad shes here, and i'm quite happy on the uphills, but yeah will have to give her a good thrashing soon, I can't wait to see your stiffee ;)
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    So, Bender. What size is his frame?

Just asking, like.......
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • Gazlar
    Bender is a 52cm I think off the top of my head, I'll have a look
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    What ever you do gaz don't get a fox 150 fork, there bendy as hell.

Exciting mind.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Looks very nice, when will it built ready for a blast?
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Gazlar
    Barring any major peons, I'm hoping to have it built tomorrow ready to give it a gentle test run up the taff trail on Saturday. If itcomes through that unscathed then it'll be out on the trails.

Already mind I can't find my chain splitter and I need to go and buy a 17mm cone spanner to convert my hub to maxle on the back.
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Gazlar wrote:
    Bender is a 52cm I think off the top of my head, I'll have a look

Hmm, that's the biggest size, IIRC.

If you're interested in selling on, drop us PM.

In the meantime - liking the GT. 8)

F**k it, going to have to say it: may the Force be with you! :P

There - it's out my system now. 8)
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • Gazlar
    Clank I will be selling pretty soon, just keeping hold until TKC just in case this falls apart or summat.

Right lets chart todays fails and progresses.

Bender stripped.....check
    Seatpost serviced
    mechs cleaned and lubed
    cassette changed to an xt and feehub cleaned, axle changed to 12mm maxle
    crown race swapped and new blue custom fox decals stuck on fork

Fails
    Need 36.4 seatclamp - ordered
    Front mech too big need to order a smaller one but cant find my callipers to measure it, think a 31.8 though

anyway heres what I've achieved

Breakfast, obviously needed to fuel a days fettling
    breakv.jpg

Then this is where i've got to by the close of play
    amy3je.jpg
    amy4u.jpg

Tommoroow will be shorten hoses and bleed brakes and see if I can get all the drivetrain fitted and indexed, just waiting then for a seatclamp to come

Might go with a black saddle and grips though too
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    You shortening the steerer?
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I've got a load of black headset spacers....if you're as keen of the gold ones as I am :wink:

Looking good though, it's very satisfying to put a bike together.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Gazlar
    I've got a load of them ta mark, but I like the little bit of gold, think the grips are a bit much in blue.

Not shortening the steerer yet, going to try it out before I chop, don't like leaning down too much on the front end.
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • Gazlar
    Essntially finished now, just waiting for the last little bits to arrive, seatclamp, some grommets for the internal cable mounts some tit tape and some black grips, then shes ready to roll

amy5n.jpg

amy6n.jpg
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    Looks great!
    Did you get a chance to weigh the frame?
  • Gazlar
    3.16 kgs the frame, according to my kitchen scales. weighing all the bits seperately and adding up, that includes the shock. Total build not sure yet need to find my luggage scales out
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    what that needs gaz is some offset bushings, should get it nice and slack and abit lower. Looks superb mate. proper job!
  • Gazlar
    Nooo, I liked it because its steep, I loved the handling of my hardtail, and wanted something that responded like it. Think it suits how I ride. I'm not really a gravity fiend, I want to start doing done good length trekking, but with some comfort.
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • gazlar...that looks seriously hot! Would love to have one of these!
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Gazlar wrote:
    Nooo, I liked it because its steep, I loved the handling of my hardtail, and wanted something that responded like it. Think it suits how I ride. I'm not really a gravity fiend, I want to start doing done good length trekking, but with some comfort.
    Sounds like my kind of bike.
  • noppy
    noppy Posts: 181
    looks very nice indeed, you had to get the colour i really wanted didn't you :wink:

yeh thats one thing i noticed immediately its massively high, i literally have to climb onto it :P compared with my stumpjumper. But tbh i don't think it lacks at all especially with a high volume shock because it has such soft cushioning on the down hill, feels like your floating (annoying as i have naff forks on mine atmo its very uneven) but with forks like yours set to match the rear end it must feel fantastic
  • Gazlar
    Cheers for the praise guys

Noppy to me it doesn't feel that high, to give you an idea, the focus my forks came from were cut to that length and had 10mm of spacing as opposed to to 40mm this needs and the seat post was as low as possible, this gives me almost 3" standover by comparison. Yet to ride it as I've been waiting for a seatclamp to come, but that's here now so will be having a blast tomorrow.
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • Gazlar
    edited February 2013
    Now fully completed so heres a few pics and the full spec. I'll try and get some better quality pics taken by someone who knows how to use a camera

amy7.jpg
    amy8c.jpg
    amy9.jpg

Full spec

Frame: GT Force Carbon Expert
    Forks: Fox Talas 140rlc (140/120/100)
    Bars: Superstar Descent (cut to 750mm)
    Stem: Superstar Zephir cnc
    Headset: Cane Creek 40.is41 Short Cover
    Grips: Superstar Supagrippa

Front Brake Lever assy: Shimano XT m785
    Front Caliper: Shimano XT m785
    Front disc: Superstar Floating 180
    Rear Brake Lever assy: Shimano XT m785
    Rear Caliper: Shimano XT m785
    Rear Disc: Superstar Floating 180
    Hoses: Shimano High Power

Shifters: Shimano SLX m660
    Cables: Jagwire L3
    Front Mech: Shimano SLX m660
    Rear Mech: Shimano XT shadow m772
    Chain Device: Superstar Double

Seat: SDG Aliso ti
    Seat Post: Pure Racing KS i950 remote
    Seat Post Clamp: Hope Bolt 36.4

Cranks: Shimano m542
    Chainring(s):Shimano SLX 22/36 and MRP S4 Bashguard
    Chain: KMC x9l gold
    Cassette: Shimano XT m772 medium cage
    Pedals: Superstar Mag Light
    Bottom Bracket: Shimano Deore bb70b
    Chain Device: Superstar Double roller type

Front Wheel:
    Rim: Stans Crest
    Spokes: Sapim
    Hub: Superstar Switch 15qr with Fox Axle
    Tube: Tubeless
    Tire: Continental Mountain King 2 protection Black Chili
    Dustcaps: Fully Sprung Industries anti-theft

Back Wheel:
    Rim: Stans Crest
    Spokes: Sapim
    Hub: Superstar Switch 12mm with Rockshox maxle
    Tube: Tubeless
    Tire: Continental Mountain King 2 protection Black Chili
    Dustcaps: Fully Sprung Industries anti-theft

Weight: 28.4 lbs
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • Gazlar
    amy14i.jpg
    amy13.jpg
    amy12.jpg
    amy11.jpg
    amy10a.jpg
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Smashing that Gaz. I don't think i'd go for a gold dropper cable myself though :wink:
  • Gazlar
    Cheers, had to go with gold, for now at least, the black one I had I could only route cable tying it to the top gear cable but was rubbing the top tube too much. The only cables I had long enough were gold or pink
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp