Shock Mounting

Gazlar
Gazlar Posts: 8,084
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Well, here goes, my first full build and already a question

Just bought a new GT force carbon which has come in a million pices, well 3 but might as well be a million. Been looking at pics of them and i've noticed that some have the shock mounted one way, some the other like so

GT_FORCE_1.jpg

p4pb5439701.jpg

Any reason for this othe than lever position preference?

Ta muchly
Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
Amy
Farnsworth
Zapp

Comments

• 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    Nope. It will be more protected from rear wheel spray if mounted like the first picture.
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • Gazlar
    thats answered that then, ta
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    looks better in the second picture, and that's all that matters.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    ARGH, shocks can only work if the main chunky part of the body stays totally still, and the thinner wee tube moves around.
    Which is why full suss bikes are slower than rigids, because you can't actually move them anywhere.
  • steelie600
    steelie600 Posts: 519
    Gotta say I like them wheels in the second pic!! Wonder if theyll take my immense bulk??
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    I wouldn't bother. They're Crank Brothers - and Crank brothers stuff has a reputation for being very unreliable and arsebleedingly expensive.
  • Gazlar
    Job done, the shock bushings were already mounted so the shock body was facing forward, so I just mounted it like that,
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp