need to change from my sram force to ultegra what do i need

mosa
mosa Posts: 754
edited June 2012 in Workshop
Hello all i have just sold a madone which was ultegra equipt. Ive just bought a cervelo S2 which has sram force fitted i am totaly naieve about this apart from i need ultegra fitted to my new bike, the sram gears although ive only been out twice are doing my head in. My questions are.

1, do i just buy say an ultegra crank set front & rear derrallier and shifters and thats that?
2, how do i know they will fit my new bike?
3, do i need to get an ultegra cassette?
4, what else will i need

please help as ive no idea

Thanks in advance of any replies
My bikes

2018 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro

Comments

• How are they doing your head in?
    Do they just need setting up properly? Try your LBS or the SRAM website or Park tools.

You only need the levers and mechs as long as you are not changing the number of gears
  • mosa
    The gear selection just isnt smooth. i dont really understand the concept. Id i tap once short & quick it drops down then if i push the leaver a bit further i go up, sometimes if i push to far the chain jumps down a couple of cogs? is that right? cheers
    My bikes

2018 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    As above - Force is so much better than Ultegra, but if you insist on downgrading: new shifters, new mechs, new cables. Everything else can stay the same. Job jobbed.

Personally if you insist on changing I wouldn't buy Ultegra, I'd shop around and get some seriously reduced D/A in the sales....

You have the gear selection right - it takes 30 mins to get used to and then is so positive and cool that you won't want to leave it apart from to go to Red.
  • mosa
    so from what i say happens when i change gear is that right?. on an incline tonight i tried to shift up (larger ring at rear) and it went down? also on the front deraillier going to large ring and bottom gear on back the chain rubs slightly. How do i adjust it (ive just been to local cycle shop and he says he cant do anything with it, that cant be right surely. cheers ps ive tried youtube but nearly always just reviews the red set up.
    My bikes

2018 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro
  • nickbuchan
    nickbuchan Posts: 26
    Mosa - as you will read in many threads on this forum it is bad practice to use large ring and large sprocket as it causes excess wear on all the components invloved, that is why your chain is catching the front mech. There is really no need to use big/big or small/small as those ratios (or very similar ones) are available without stressing the chain, sprockets and rings. I was really dubious about my SRAM Rival shifters but after 2 years without fault I have to admit it's a great system.

If you're trying to get to a larger sprocket and it's dropping down you need to push the lever a little further (just until it clicks).

Give them a fair crack, I'm sure you'll love them after a short while.
  • Yossie
    Now thats a bit harsh - we all do it - we know that its not the best thing in the world to do but so long as you don't ride for 200 miles at a go you're not going to do anything major running big/big or small/small.

Re the rubbing: take it to a different shop - all it needs is a slight weak outwards: 2 minute job.

Give them a bash and you';ll get used to them - they rock
  • mosa
    daft question can someone explain the way you use the sram. cheers!
    My bikes

2018 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Tap the lever and it shifts to a harder gear
    Push the leaver further across and it shifts into an easier gear.

Probably worth persevering with, I think its a nicer system than Shimanos. Its also a fair whack lighter aswell.
  • Yossie
    styxd wrote:
    Tap the lever and it shifts to a harder gear
    Push the leaver further across and it shifts into an easier gear.

Probably worth persevering with, I think its a nicer system than Shimanos. Its also a fair whack lighter aswell.

Agree - my Red is far nicer to use than my D/A, but that's just me.

Feels nicer, more solid, lighter, prettier, more carboney and black that adds top end mph.
  • mosa
    Why when I push further does it jump more than 1 cog?
    My bikes

2018 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro
  • Yossie
    It has the ability to change (I think) 3 gears at a time (may even be 5,but I'm not sureofhand) on one throw of the lever - just don't hold it across for so long.

Seriouly, SRAM rocks. Ultegra is a nowhere house- not as robust as 105, not as good as D/A, costs too much.